Crime Spree on the Reservation

Teen-gangster Crips on the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community got high on crystal meth and cheap beer and terrorized the reservation with drive-by shootings, murder, beatings, fire-bombings and robberies for two years--until the feds busted them fo

The 14-year-old was Angela Gutierrez, who lived in the house that had just been fire-bombed. No one in the Gutierrez family knew Webster was the fire-bomber who had terrorized them just weeks before.

Webster began dating Angela, but, contrary to plan, fell in love with the girl. He even started staying in the Gutierrez home--until the gang told him it was prohibited--and smoked crack with an elder Gutierrez in the presence of 14-year-old Angela. The girl eventually did get pregnant with Webster's child. Webster, however, didn't leave the girl. He didn't marry her, either.

His West Side Story relationship infuriated the gang leadership.
John Webster was demoted to Pee Wee status.

In the fall of 1994, the East Side Crips Rolling Thirties leadership decided to fire-bomb the home of Russell Gutierrez, who was related to but did not live with Lonnie Gutierrez. This time, the gang excluded Webster from the plans, knowing of his fondness for Angela Gutierrez.

Members of the gang set two "diversionary" fires on the reservation, in order to keep the Salt River cops and fire department distracted from the real target.

Then the gang set fire to Russell Gutierrez's home.
No one was injured.
Weary of arson, the gang switched to drive-by shootings.

Ricardo helped organize two drive-by shootings. In one instance, Ricardo and Riley Junior wanted to retaliate against a rival gang member. In the other instance, the drive-by was designed to punish someone who threw a rock in Ricardo's girlfriend's window.

They didn't hit any rival gangsters; however, one of the bullets barely missed a little girl sitting at the dinner table.

Almost a year after Pat Lindsay was murdered, tribal police had set up their anonymous silent-witness tip line. In March 1995, an anonymous caller said the East Side Crips Rolling Thirties were responsible for the Subway murder.

Riley Junior started getting nervous when tribal police began interviewing him and a number of others.

Tribal police decided to nab Eschief first, the others later. Those present at the shooting could also be charged with first-degree murder under federal law.

The tribal cops interviewed Arlo Eschief's girlfriend, Elizabeth Antone, and learned she had confiscated a Taurus 9mm semiautomatic pistol from her lover shortly after the Lindsay murder. She took the gun because Eschief had used it to shoot up her father's dining-room table. Elizabeth gave the gun to her dad, who sold it to a friend.

Tribal police found the gun. Lab tests revealed it was the gun that had been used to kill Lindsay. And police matched Eschief's fingerprints to fingerprints they'd found in the sandwich shop.

Eschief confessed, implicated his friends and was arrested in April 1995. Despite his confession, he later pleaded not guilty. He was tried in district court in Phoenix in 1996, and is now serving a life sentence without parole at an undisclosed location for the murder of Pat Lindsay.

But other killers were still free.
Be calm, they told each other, they don't have anything on us.
But Norval Antone was behaving strangely. For instance, he had just received his claims money, but instead of turning some of the money over to the gang for weapon purchases, Norval threw a huge party on the reservation and did not invite the East Side Crips Rolling Thirties.

Norval actually spent his claims money on crystal meth, purchased, of course, from Gilland Fulwilder. He was taking so much crystal meth that he was sleepless and paranoid, thought the cops were after him.

Fulwilder decided to drop some acid with Norval, see if the LSD would calm the guy down. The acid didn't help. During a visit to a Mesa apartment Riley Junior was temporarily sharing with his girlfriend, Norval broke down and wept. The cops would get him for sure, he moaned.

Riley Junior pistol-whipped Norval until he fell to the floor.
Everyone thought Norval had been knocked out. Norval was actually conscious and terrified as he listened to his friends and cousins discuss killing him, he later testified.

Norval jumped up, ran for his life.
He dove through the window of a nearby apartment. When the occupant screamed at the sight of bloody Norval on her kitchen floor, he pleaded: "Shut up, they'll kill you, too."

When Norval was released from the hospital, he called tribal police, who worked out a deal for him to enter the federal witness-protection program in exchange for his court testimony.

Norval told police everything John Webster had confided to him about the Subway murder.

Riley Senior must have sensed Norval was singing to the cops. A week after Norval disappeared into the witness-protection program, a meeting was held at the blue house on the reservation. Riley Senior was beginning to suspect Gilland Fulwilder might also inform on the gang.

"There will be no snitches," Fulwilder later remembered Riley Senior said. "I would hate to kill your kids. I would hate to kill your father. I would hate to kill your family, but there aren't gonna be no snitches no more."

Shortly after, Gilland Fulwilder claims John Webster shot at him repeatedly with an SKS fully automatic assault rifle.

« Previous Page
Next Page »
My Voice Nation Help
Phoenix Concert Tickets