Abbott and Buchanan obviously were deeply connected on many levels, especially financially and emotionally.

In 2008, Patrick Roland was editor of Echo Magazine, the Valley publication that caters to the gay and lesbian community.

Thomas Abbott visited Thailand a
few months before his mysterious May
2009 death.
Courtesy of the Abbott Family
Thomas Abbott visited Thailand a few months before his mysterious May 2009 death.
A sketch of Frank "Skip" Buchanan, who swore he had nothing to do with Abbott's death.
Alvaro Diaz-Rubio
A sketch of Frank "Skip" Buchanan, who swore he had nothing to do with Abbott's death.

He and Skip Buchanan met that September and fell for each other.

Roland's apartment was about 15 minutes on foot from Tom Abbott's place, which made the relationship convenient for Buchanan.

Roland tells New Times that Buchanan soon began drinking to excess and beating him.

"A lot of the time it would be because he was pissed at Thomas for something," Roland says. "He would apologize the next day and promise to do better. I said sure. I was like a Stepford wife."

Buchanan moved in with Patrick Roland in March 2009.

Early that May, according to Roland, Buchanan learned that Abbott was contemplating a move back to Florida, where sister Elizabeth planned to return.

The possibility infuriated Buchanan, Roland says; Buchanan took it out on him on the evening of May 2, allegedly grabbing him by the throat at their home and hitting him with closed fists. (Buchanan denies this.)

Roland fled and went to Abbott's place. Buchanan soon tracked him there and got into the apartment, where, according to Roland, he went wild on Abbott — pounding him repeatedly in the face and midsection.

Patrick Roland called 911, and Phoenix police responded.

"They must have figured it was three fags acting up on a Saturday night," Roland says of the police response. "Frank wound up back at my place. I had to stay with Thomas, who was really hurting from the beating. It was all sick stuff."

Why didn't Tom Abbott press criminal charges against Buchanan or inform the police about their violent past?

"He was doing what I did and what other people do in domestic-violence situations," Roland says. "He was protecting the bad guy."

On May 4, Roland asked Maricopa County mental-health authorities to evaluate Skip Buchanan as a danger to himself and to others. Buchanan was hospitalized for one day. He soon was back at Roland's place, asking for forgiveness and swearing allegiance.

"Frank convinced me that Thomas was a hateful, devious person who was trying to break us up," Roland says. "I never spoke to [Thomas] again."

Abbott never worked another day at American Express after the May 2 incident.

Knowing of Buchanan's history with their brother, Abbott's sisters flew to Phoenix a week after the May 2 assault.

Martha Novorr says her brother was very ill when she arrived, unable to keep food down, badly bruised, and depressed. He promised to see a doctor for treatment, but apparently never did.

The sisters persuaded Abbott to escape to Dallas, where Novorr is an executive for an international fitness firm.

"Thomas told me, 'I'm afraid,'" Novorr recalls. "I said, 'Afraid of starting over? Of dying?' He laughed. 'I've lived about four lives already — I'm not scared of dying. I'm terrified of Frank.'"

Martha Novorr quickly found a condo for her brother to rent in Dallas.

Abbott decided to give away most of his belongings to friends in Phoenix, including one of his two cars, a Jaguar. He offered it to co-worker Karen Griffin and her husband, David, a sheriff's detention officer. He promised his flat-screen TV to another colleague, Mike Talley.

On May 27, Patrick Roland flew to Ohio for a few days. Buchanan asked him to leave his car keys, which was surprising because Buchanan didn't have a driver's license.

The next day, Thursday, May 28, Abbott finished packing his other car, a Mercedes, and paid a service to deliver it to Dallas.

Abbott booked his flight to Dallas for 3 p.m. on Saturday, May 30.

He informed his ex in a May 28 e-mail that Buchanan needed to sign a notarized letter allowing Abbott to remove him from their joint E-Trade account — which contained about $4,000. It's uncertain whether the men planned to split the proceeds.

Also on May 28, Abbott hired a driver to take him out for a haircut and manicure. He ate lunch at a favorite sushi restaurant. Later that afternoon, he signed over the Jaguar to David Griffin at his apartment complex.

About 9 p.m., Buchanan and a friend, Tom Kelly, showed up at Abbott's residence. Kelly tells New Times that Buchanan said he wanted to collect some things before Abbott left town.

Abbott phoned his friend Karen Griffin during the hour-long visit.

"He said, 'Frank is here,'" Griffin later told police. "And I said, 'Why? He really doesn't need to be there.' And he said, 'You talk to him.'"

She says she told Buchanan, "Frank, you're not supposed to be there. You're stressing him out; you're beating on him. You need to get out. You own nothing in that house."

Tom Kelly says he didn't notice any tension between Buchanan and Abbott and considered the visit a benign farewell between the pair. He says he took Buchanan home immediately afterward.

Buchanan's cell-phone records show that he and Abbott spoke later that night for more than an hour.

On the morning of Friday, May 29, a pair of housekeepers came by Abbott's apartment. One of them said during the civil case that Abbott was lying on the floor when they arrived, unwell and a bit disoriented.

« Previous Page
Next Page »
My Voice Nation Help
Phoenix Concert Tickets