10 Reasons Why We Love Amy Schumer
The unfiltered, unapologetic comedienne of all things sexual and unspoken has quickly become one of the most talked about acts in stand-up. From her debut appearance on NBC's Last Comic Standing in 2007 to the second season return of her Comedy Central show, Inside Amy Schumer, in 2014, here are the top 10 things we wave come to love about the woman whom (by her own account) "you'd have sex with . . . but you wouldn't blog about it."
10. 2014 was the year of Amy Schumer. At least according to Variety, which named her the 2014 Breakthrough in Comedy Winner, featuring her on the cover of their most recent January issue.
9. Her debut comedy album, Cutting, cracked the top five of the Billboard Music Charts. And for good reason.
8. There's no slut-shaming a woman who refers to Plan B as "Plan A" and jokes that NuvaRing is the only ring she's interested in.
7. She gets the Tig Notaro stamp of approval, so much so that she and Notaro made sketches about Notaro's recent battle with cancer on Inside Amy Schumer (which Notaro writes for).
6. Schumer doesn't take shit from anyone. Don't believe us, do a YouTube search for "Amy Schumer heckler."
5. She's made cameos on some of favorite shows including the second season of Louis C.K.'s FX show, Louie, and season three of Lena Dunham's HBO show, Girls.
4. This spring she'll begin shooting, Train Wreck, a movie she'll star in with a script she wrote. And the cherry on top? It's produced and directed by comedic movie overlord Judd Apatow.
3. We secretly wished Cat Parks existed.
2. She can roast with the best of them. Schumer made her debut roast alongside then better known celebrities like Seth MacFarlane, Jeffery Ross, and William Shatner for the Comedy Central Roast of Charlie Sheen and later the Comedy Central Roast of Roseanne.
1. She's not afraid to go there. And then tell you about it in the morning.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Phoenix art and theater scene.