13 Fall Festivals in Metro Phoenix
Mesa Arts Center
The fall is a wonderfully dangerous time in Phoenix -- we've survived summer (celebration is in order!) and for a few solid months, everyone decides to host a festival, special event, or series that'll fill your schedule from now until Christmas.
Sure, it's overwhelming, but we've narrowed the list to 13 events that you'll want to mark in your busy schedule. (Trust us.)
OCTOBER: 12. Tutu Tuesday - October 2 When: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. (group photo at 12:30 p.m.) Where: Mesa Arts Center,1 E. Main St. Mesa How much: Free (but tutus available to pre-order) What you'll do: in an event organized to express solidarity for Breast Cancer Awareness month, Mesa Arts Center will showcase the work of photographer Bob Carey and create the biggest gathering of people in pink tutus as part of Carey's ongoing Tutu Project.
See also: - Photographer Bob Carey on Growing up in Phoenix and His Latest Work, "The Tutu Project" - The NFL Announces Support of Bob Carey's The Tutu Project with a Half-Time Show and, Yes, More Tutu Photographs
11. Herberger Theater Festival of the Arts - October 6 When: noon to 5 p.m. Where: Herberger Theater, 222 E. Monroe St, Phoenix How much: $5 for 13 and up, free for 12 and under What you'll do: dance, theater, food, art, music, pet adoptions and more.
Rainbows Festival - October 6 and 7 When: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Where: 10. Historic Heritage Square, 115 N. Sixth St. Phoenix, AZ 85004 How much: Free What you'll do: each year Rainbows Festival features a wide variety exhibits and entertainers who celebrate diversity and this year there will be a second stage for added events like the Junior Miss & Mister Gay Pride Contest, OUTdayPHX and Drag Performances
9. Tempe OktoberFest - October 12-14 When: Friday 5 p.m. to midnight, Saturday 10 a.m. to midnight, Sunday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Where: Tempe Town Lake, 620 N. Mill Ave. Tempe How much: Free What you'll do: Tempe Sister Cities makes presentations from partner cities around the world, kids can fill their Festival passports with stamps from rides and crafts zones, adults can sample beer and wine and everyone can enjoy shopping and unique live music acts each day
8. Grand Avenue Festival - October 20 When: 11am-8 pm, with After Hours event 8-10pm Where: Grand Avenue Arts District, roughly b/t 7th and 16th avenues Phoenix How much: Free What you'll do: activities include an outdoor movie theater, historic building tours, local art exhibits and shopping
6. Dia de los Muertos - Oct 30-31 When: Saturday 10am-5pm, Sunday noon-5pm Where: Mesa Arts Center,1 E. Main St. Mesa How much: free What you'll do: listen to the music, watch performers, eat, browse a mercado full of arts and crafts and on Sunday join the procession and candle lighting
Coming up on the next page: November...
Photo by Adam Rodriguez, courtesy of Desert Botanical Gardens
5. Garden Discovery Tour - November 9 When: 9-11am Where: Desert Botanical Garden, 1201 N. Galvin Pkwy., Phoenix How much: to be announced What you'll do: see how the Desert Botanical Gardens runs from programs to planting, all from a new perspective - behind the scenes
4. Desert Shakedown - November 10 When: varies by workshop Where: Alwun House Foundation, 1204 E. Roosevelt St., Phoenix How much: varies by workshop What you'll do: take workshops on everything about movement from bellydance to choreography
3. Certified Local Fall Festival - November 10 When: 10 a.m. 4 p.m. Where: 10 W Portland St, Phoenix How much: $1 What you'll do: this all ages event includes activities and rock climbing for kids, live music, beer and wine tastings, raffles, silent auctions and of course lots of shopping
2. Tempe Festival of the Arts - November 30 to December 2 When: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Where: Mill Avenue District, Mill Ave. between University Drive and Rio Salado Parkway Tempe How much: Free What you'll do: visitors enjoy live entertainment, attend wine and beer tastings, join in arts and crafts activities and browse the many visual artists competing for best overall artists prizes
1. Las Noches de las Lumieres - Nov 30 & Dec 1 through 30 (check schedule for members' only events) When: 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. Where: Desert Botanical Garden, 1201 N. Galvin Pkwy., Phoenix How much: $20 for adults, $10 for children (ages 3-12) (children under three are admitted free) What you'll do: see the gardens after dark, uniquely lit for the season by 8,000 hand-lit luminaria bags
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Phoenix art and theater scene.