ASU's Downtown Campus for Fall 2010
The first week is never about what actually goes on during class. It's about figuring out what your schedule means by "the Brickyard," checking out potential lag-time hangouts and figuring out which path will save you three more minutes.
Here's a peek at our guide to ASU's Downtown Campus ...
We'll be updating our tips and survival hints from time to time, but If you have any tips or tricks, feel free to share 'em in the comments section.
More recommendations, tips and a printable guide after the jump (and check out yesterday's guide to ASU's Tempe Campus) ...
On the Map:
- New vending machines, sweet couches and every news show you could ever want to see are up and running in the Cronkite Building's First Amendment Forum (they also host pretty cool speakers every Monday).
- Cheap/Free/Easy Date Night: Take a look at a ton of local art that's featured on the second floor of the UCENT building and check out the view of the city from the eighth floor.
- For caffeine and munchies, skip the Starbucks down the street and check out Fair Trade Cafe across Central Avenue, Royal Coffee Bar at the Downtown Phoenix Public Market on Pierce Street (Jackalope sighting!), Conspire on Fifth Street, or Cartel Coffee on First and Washington Streets.
Off the Map:
- The Heard Museum is free for students on Sunday, August 15 (just show your Sun Card). Heard also hosts free admission events every third Friday.
- Check out the Phoenix Public Library for refuge from the sun, a quiet afternoon, or a ride up and down the elevator (seriously).
- Third Friday Concerts are back on at the Civic Space Park (under the large, flying blue object) at 424 N. Central Ave. from 7 to 9 p.m. (totally free). This space is also popular for bikini-clad sunbathers, who consequently create a popular activity for those on the fifth and sixth floors of every building that surrounds it.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Phoenix art and theater scene.