Downtown's First Friday (Nov. 5)
Art walks are more often about people watching and shenanigans and less about the actual art. We're here to guide you through both. Presenting our very own Field Guide -- an evolving guide to art walks around town.
From time to time, we'll introduce some of our favorite spots and dish out some insider information. If you have any tips or tricks, share 'em in the comments section.
Here's a peek at our guide to Downtown's First Friday for November 5 ...
by Claire Lawton
Click on the image (or right here) for a full-size version. More First Friday hints and details after the jump ...
On the Map:
- Dayvid LemMon @ Perihelion "Machine Vision" is an exhibit of new work by photographer and multimedia artist Dayvid LemMon. Perihelion arts is at 610 E. Roosevelt No. 137. For more information, visit the Perihelion Arts website.
Rancho Solano Preparatory School: Fiddler on the Roof Jr.
TicketsThu., Apr. 27, 7:00pm
Beauty and the Beast by Ballet Etudes
TicketsSat., Apr. 29, 2:00pm
Thunder From Down Under
TicketsThu., May. 4, 8:00pm
Chris Rock: Total Blackout Tour 2017
TicketsSat., May. 6, 7:00pm
Kathleen Madigan: Bothering Jesus Tour
TicketsSat., May. 13, 8:00pm
- Christine Cassano @ monOrchid Christine Cassono is serious about cement -- and it shows in her exhibition at monOrchid. The artist has incorporated machine parts and natural elements into her work and has managed to hang it all on the walls. Check it out at monOrchid, 214 East Roosevelt St.
- Deers not Deers @ Sweets and Beats
All of the art, by Sara Oliver, is under $20 at the Deers not Dears show at Sweets and Beats. You can also expect Cupcakes from Tammie Coe, and music from Doctor Dinosaur.
- Luis Gutierrez @ Icehouse
Luis Gutierrez just installed a 30-foot interpretation of Michaelangelo's Last Judgment from the non-ceiling at Icehouse. The reception for his work on border issues, Chicano culture and his own personal life is from 7 to 10 tonight. Read more about Gutierrez's show here. Icehouse is at 429 West Jackson St..
Off the Map:
- Tempe Starving Artist House Party Get your after-party (pre-party?) on at the Tempe Starving Artist shindig. Really, we're talking carnival games, bonfire, live painting, music and $1 drinks ... who needs the State Fair? The party's at 1028 W Taylor St, just off of Grand Avenue.
- Willo North Gallery is hosting "The View From Here" with art by Ellie Richards and Nick DeFord. The opening festivities are from 6 to 10 p.m.. Willo North Gallery is on the southeast corner of Thomas Road and 7th Avenue
Other Useful Information:
- If you missed it, our second jackalope limited edition sticker (designed by Luster Kaboom) will be making its debut tonight! Find a few at each location marked with a star on the map.
- To avoid the shenanigans, go early (galleries usually open around 5 p.m.) and peace out before the skinny jeans and bongos make their mass appearance.
- If you're hungry, check out The Duce on Central and Lincoln, now serving lunch until midnight!
-- The Phoenix Art Museum has great parking (and great art, go figure) and free event shuttles sponsored by Artlink, Inc. to various areas throughout downtown including Roosevelt Row. Route maps are available at the Museum. On-street parking is limited along Roosevelt Street between 1st Street and 7th Street (Note: meters downtown are still checked until 8 p.m.). Or if you can nab a spot, check out the free street parking on Grand Avenue ...
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Phoenix art and theater scene.