Downtown's First Friday (Oct. 1)
Art walks are more often about people watching and shenanigans and less about the actual art. We're here to guide you through both. Presenting our very own Field Guide -- an evolving guide to art walks around town.
From time to time, we'll introduce some of our favorite spots and dish out some insider information. If you have any tips or tricks, share 'em in the comments section.
Here's a peek at our guide to Downtown's First Friday for October 1 ...
Claire Lawton Click on the image (or right here) for a full-size version.
More First Friday hints and details after the jump ...
Rancho Solano Preparatory School: Fiddler on the Roof Jr.
TicketsThu., Apr. 27, 7:00pm
Beauty and the Beast by Ballet Etudes
TicketsSat., Apr. 29, 2:00pm
Thunder From Down Under
TicketsThu., May. 4, 8:00pm
Chris Rock: Total Blackout Tour 2017
TicketsSat., May. 6, 7:00pm
Kathleen Madigan: Bothering Jesus Tour
TicketsSat., May. 13, 8:00pm
On the Map:
- Milk Munny at Monorchid For the past year, the pair at Acrylic Squid, Alyisse Tramel and Trevor Hill, have been calling out to local, national and international artists to make money, er munny pieces for an exhibition. The two just finished installing the customized toys by Kid Robot this week in MonOrchid. Participating local artists include Dumperfoo, Kyle Jordre, Mosha and Joshua Rhodes. The exhibition's opening night is tonight, where collectors can purchase the vinyl toys and proceeds will go toward the Keep a Breast Foundation.
- First Friday at Advocates for Latino Arts and Culture
Talk about all-around entertainment -- ALAC is hosting tortilla maker Irma Lopez, DJ Johnny Lozoya, paper mache artist Irma Sanchez, live art and a live theater performance of James Garcia's new play, "The Eagle & The Serpent:A History of Mexico Abridged"
Off the Map:
- Monster Menagerie at Alwun House The 11th Monster Menagerie exhibit will features unworldly noir fantasy in a range of media. The show's open to the public from noon to 6 p.m. and guests will be greeted by SHELOB ... whoever that is. More info can be found on the Alwun House website.
- Bohemian Beat at Holgas is back for October. Artists include Jason Louiselle, Drew Potter, Aaron Motley, Katherine McClain, and Jolyn Frazier. And oh yeah, they promise free coffee and cigarettes. Gotta love First Friday. Holgas is at 821 N 3rd St #6.
Other Useful Tips:
- If you missed it, our jackalope limited edition sticker will be making its debut tonight! Find a few at each location marked with a sticker on the map ... They're pretty sweet.
- To embrace the shenanigans, check out the live music and art at Revolver Records on Roosevelt Street, at Bikini Lounge on Grand Avenue and all over Heritage Square. For a real blowout party, check out Chaos Theory 11 at Legend City Studios.
- To avoid the shenanigans, go early (galleries usually open around 5 p.m.) and peace out before the witching hour.
- If you're hungry, check out The Duce on Central and Lincoln, now serving lunch until midnight!
-- The Phoenix Art Museum has great parking (and great art, go figure) and free event shuttles sponsored by Artlink, Inc. to various areas throughout downtown including Roosevelt Row. Route maps are available at the Museum. On-street parking is limited along Roosevelt Street between 1st Street and 7th Street (Note: meters downtown are still checked until 8 p.m.). Or if you can nab a spot, check out the free street parking on Grand Avenue ...
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Phoenix art and theater scene.