Five Calls for Phoenix Creatives
Summer is in full swing, but the school year is just around the corner (yes, already), which means there's no time like the present to get cracking on a few opportunities.
Here are five excuses to get out there and get creative.
5. SMoCA's Good n' Plenty Grant The very creative and quirky minds at Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art have announced a new grant that's community generated and in support of "innovative art makers, wise-crackers and trailblazers based in Arizona."
Submissions must include answers to a few creative questions on the Good n' Plenty page, plus a photo of your work, and must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 30. Six proposals will be chosen and selected artists will present their ideas during an event on August 10.
Community members pay $10 admission (which includes desserts and a vote on their favorite proposal), and the project with the most votes will be awarded the cash grant of the money raised during the event and during SMoCA's Arm Wrestling for Art event. For more information, check out the SMoCA lounge website.
4. Firestage's Call for Performers The cast members of Downtown's wildest variety show open mic are looking for a few brave community members to join them on stage this Friday at 8 p.m. at 901 N. Fifth St. to share a poem, story, joke, song, monologue, hidden talent, political rant (you get the idea).
No theme or subject is required, but time is limited, so keep it short. Read more info on the Firestage Facebook page.
3. Volunteer at the Orpheum Theatre and Symphony Hall The Phoenix Convention Center's Volunteer Program is looking for volunteer ushers at the historic Orpheum Theatre and Symphony Hall. Volunteers must be friendly ad willing to interact with visitors and learn more about the history of each building (plus, you might get to see a few free shows).
Training for new volunteers will be held from 1 - 3 p.m. at the Orpheum Theatre, 203 W. Adams St., and Symphony Hall, 75 N. Second St., on July 21 and August 11at the Orpheum Theatre and July 22 and August 12 at Symphony Hall. To sign up, call 602-495-7139. And for more information about the Phoenix Convention Center Volunteer Program, contact Patty McMahon at email@example.com.
2. The City of Phoenix Office of Arts and Culture's Call for Photography Services The City of Phoenix Office of Arts and Culture is looking for a few talented photographers or photography studios to help document public art projects within the city, including architecturally integrated artworks, earthwork/landscape projects, and portable works of art. Those interested must submit a written Request for Qualification (RFQ).
The packet and attachments can be found on the Arts and Culture website. For more information, contact Rebecca Blume Rothman, firstname.lastname@example.org, (602) 495-0893.
1. Design Street Banners for Seventh Avenue Merchants Association According to the Seventh Avenue Merchants Association (SAMA), there are currently 42 light pole banners (measuring 26-by-64 inches) in the Melrose District, on 7th Ave from Camelback to Indian School roads, that are in need of some serious artwork. SAMA members are looking for designs in three themes: Shopping, Dining, and Services.
Each submission must include designs for all three themes and have a 26-by-15 inch blank space at the bottom for sponsor information. Submissions can be sent to email@example.com in .pdf or .ai format by Wednesday August 22. The winning design will be announced Friday August 31. For more information, contact Meghan Olesen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Phoenix, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.