Five Must-Attend Lectures in July
You brain wil be thiiiiiiis big.
Flickr via andres.moreno
Shine up those spectacles, aspiring poindexters, because there are plenty of ways to up your I.Q. in July. Here are five lectures that will fit the brainy bill.
5. "300 Years of Space Exploration: What Have We Learned About Earth's Closest Planet Neighbor, Mars?" @ Arizona Science Center We will readily, humbly admit that the extend of our Mars knowledge (some of which is undoubtedly too fun to be true) is derived mainly from Mars Attacks! and the theories of one Fox Mulder. Thankfully, ASU School of Earth and Space Exploration doctoral candidate Christopher Edwards will expand our planetary horizons when he discusses what data collected about our outer space neighbor means for our future with the planet, and its potential as a vacation destination. Edwards will also present a visual tour of the solar system during his lecture at Arizona Science Center on Friday, July 6, at 7 p.m. Admission is free.
4. "Issues In Your Tissues: If Your Body Could Speak, The Stories It Would Tell" @ Changing Hands Bookstore Dr. Param Dedhia and Catherine Kenney Yunt will discuss how thoughts and emotions can impact physical health and well-being on Tuesday, July 10, at Changing Hands. Admission is free and the lecture begins at 7 p.m.
Bee calm and carry on.
Flickr via Newsbie Pix
3. "Learning to Talk About Art" @ Montage Art Studio & Gallery Montage's member artists will lead a talk about why it's important to study art and how to do so thoughtfully from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. on Thursday, July 12. Admission is free and the event is open to the public.
2. "All About Bees" @ Usery Mountain Regional Park Tame your horror of those striped insects we call bees when Ranger B hosts a brown bag lecture at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, July 20, in the Nature Center at Usery Park. Topics of discussion include whether bees are generally safe to be around, how they survive in the desert, and how we as species benefit from them. The lecture is free, but parking is $6 per car.
1. Ignite Phoenix After Hours #3 @ Axis/Radius Ignite's racier incarnation brings locals together for quickie talks about anything and everything from dildos and atheism to Arizona's porn industry and how Twilight is ruining everything. Get ready for some raunchy regaling at 7 p.m. Friday, July 27, at Axis/Radius. Tickets are $10 and go on sale Saturday, July 7.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Phoenix, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.