Pop on your mary janes and horn-rimmed glasses, MacAlpine's Soda Fountain would like to welcome you (back) to the 1950s.
The family-owned, Phoenix restaurant and soda fountain opened in 1928 and has been serving home-style soups, sandwiches and shakes ever since. But the real treasures are in the attached vintage store, where '50s memorabilia and antique throwbacks are sure to pull you away from the table.
We stopped by MacAlpines to check out the atmosphere and signature 1952 juke box. Check out what we'd take, what we'd leave and why we'd go back after the jump ...
Things we're taking home:
1. Owl head planter: Fill it with a beautiful plant or miscellaneous items. This $24 owl head is just too cute to leave behind.
2. Old games: Remember when board games were in? Funny Bones, Cootie, Tiddledy Winks, and Dragon Dominoes remind us of simpler times. Play with these games for $12 and $18.
3. Roller skates: We would buy these -- not because they're practically ancient, but because with a little fixing up, we're pretty sure we could, as Tim Gunn says, "make it work."
4. Divers mask clock: If you're going to have a clock remind you how fleeting time is, at least have it look cool. That's why we're digging this $29.95 divers mask clock.
5. Payphone phone: A payphone that doesn't take your money and isn't filthy? Shut the front door. We're taking this $39.95 phone home with us.
Things on our wish list:
1. Children's fire truck: Kids or no kids, we want this. This pedal car features a bell at the front and room in the back to carry miscellaneous stuff. You and your kids may be fighting over who gets to take the car. Ride in style for $249.95.
2. Pinball machine: This beautiful machine has us drooling. It comes from the good old days when you could get one pinball for five cents. It will cost $595 to reminisce with this game machine.
3. Chrome light: Three lights are better than one. This chrome lamp features a cool design that will add pizazz to any room. Brighten things up with this piece for $195.95.
4. Royal typewriter: Who needs a laptop when you can have an old-fashioned typewriter for $95? Some of the best writers pounded away at typewriters and now you can too. Dust it off, add a new ribbon and you're on your way to good things.
We'll pass on...
Hand-painted butterfly boots. These boots were made for...? Well, we're not exactly sure. We'll walk away from these $36.95 shoes.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
One reason to go back...
MacAlpine's is an antique store AND a restaurant. That means you can fill your belly with delicious homemade food and old-fashioned malts and sundaes and then walk it off as you browse the rooms full of furniture, clothing, and knickknacks.
MacAlpine's Soda Fountain is located at 7th and Oak streets in downtown Phoenix. Visit the store Monday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. or Friday and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.