Mark Klett, Alberto Rios, Betsy Fahlman and More to Discuss City of Phoenix's Public Art Collection
Artwork in the Phoenix Municipal Art Collection
The City of Phoenix is bringing in a star-studded cast of local artists and art experts to Burton Barr this summer to discuss their work and the city's public art collection of more than 1,000 artworks.
The series of five presentations includes talks from photographer Mark Klett, poet Alberto Rios, painter Anne Coe, printmakers Joe Segura and Brent Bond, and art historian Betsy Fahlman on the public work now on view at the The Gallery @ City Hall and throughout Phoenix.
Here's a rundown on what should be on your calendar for May and June ...
5. Joe Segura and Brent Bond on "Printmaking Collaborations with Artists" On Thursday, May 17, Joe Segura, who owns Segura Publishing Company, and Brent Bond, owner of Santo Press, will talk about their recent collaborations with artists on printmaking and film projects.
The All-Star Comedy Explosion
TicketsSat., Apr. 15, 8:00pm
An American in Paris
TicketsTue., Apr. 18, 7:30pm
Rancho Solano Preparatory School: Fiddler on the Roof Jr.
TicketsThu., Apr. 27, 7:00pm
Beauty and the Beast by Ballet Etudes
TicketsSat., Apr. 29, 2:00pm
Thunder From Down Under
TicketsThu., May. 4, 8:00pm
4. Anne Coe on "Mood Swings: Delusion over Despair" Local painter Anne Coe will discuss her latest series work on May 24. Her "Snake Crossing," an acrylic on canvas, is on display at the Gallery @ City Hall and her designs are in the terrazzo flooring at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.
3. Alberto Rios on "Creative Collaborations between Artists and Writers" Rios is a Regents' professor at Arizona State University who's known for his poetry, books and short stories. He recently worked with Enrique Chagoya on a lithograph titled, "You are Here 2002," which is also on display in the gallery. He will talk about his history in Phoenix and the work he's created with local and international creatives on May 31.
2. Mark Klett on "Southwest Landscape Photographs: 30 Years" Mark Klett is known for his signature landscape photographs and attention to nature and geology within his artistic work. Klett's "Ed Abbey Taking Notes in Turkey Pen Ruins (Grand Gulch, Utah)," a gelatin silver print, is currently on display at the Gallery @ City Hall. He'll be at Burton Barr on June 14.
1. Betsy Fahlman on "Arizona Women Artists" Fahlman will be at Burton Barr on June 21 to discuss a collection of city-owned work by women artists at the Gallery @ City Hall. The art historian, author, and professor at ASU specializes in 19th and 20th Century American Art and recently penned the 98th Arizona Town Hall Background Report: Capitalizing on Arizona's Arts and Culture.
All presentations will be at the Burton Barr Central Library, 1221 N. Central Ave., Pulliam Auditorium from 7 to 8 p.m.. The Gallery @ City Hall is on the first floor of Phoenix City Hall, 200 W. Washington St.. For more information on the presentations, see the Phoenix Public Art website.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Phoenix art and theater scene.