Now that you've had time to mull over Marni's upcoming capsule collection for fashion-for-the-masses retailer H&M, we present our take on the line -- full of primal-meets-geometric patterns, chunky jewelry, exotic prints, and unexpected shapes.
As is the case with all diffusion lines, this one (the follow-up to H&M's collab with Versace) offers up stellar deals for designer duds, including dresses and jackets starting at about $80 and accessories around $20. (Note: Dresses from Marni proper reach the $1000 mark and sunglasses weigh in at around $400).
While the two don't overlap in price, they do share their designer Consuelo Castiglioni's penchant for clean lines, splashy colors, and bold accessories.
So, from Marni's H&M collection (which goes on sale March 8) here they are: the good, the bad, and the stuff we are willing to wrestle over on the mall floor.
Five Things We Wouldn't Wear If You Paid Us
1. Striped Green Cardigan: We're not really in the mood to look like a fat frog, like, ever. So this one's a definite no.
2. Blue Checkered Swimsuit: Butt ruffles are acceptable on swimsuits... never. Sorry, everyone and babies.
3. Straw Hat: Just. WTF?
4. Black sequined Collar: Q: If your shirt wasn't made with a collar, why (of all things) add to it a floppy, sequined, tie-on one? A: Mystery.
5. Dotted Black Jacket: Vaguely cheerful mortician's jackets aren't on our list of spring must-haves.
Five Things We Like and Want
1. Blue and Crystal Sunglasses: These oversize sporty frames fit for fighting off summer rays.
2. Plastic Leaves Necklace: We vote yes to (almost) any jewelry that looks like it could double as crude weaponry.
3. Zig-Zag Dress: This playful print is the most wearable from the collection -- whether to work or for a spring getaway.
4. Skinny Red Belt: With all of Marni's slouchy, loose-fitting silhouettes, a waist-defining little red belt could get a lot of wear.
5. Flowery T-shirt: Ignore the sparkly collar and the diaper cover down below. This cotton tee, with muted pinks and purples, would work for lazy lounging or under a lightweight blazer.
Five Things We Will Straight Up Body Slam You Over
1. Orb Print Dress: Patterns are big this spring and going into summer, so stock up on kooky, colorful frocks to your little heart's delight.
2. Grassy Green Tote: This two-tone tote is the perfect bright accessory for springtime.
3. Pink and Cream Bracelet: This chunky, embellished wristwear has us craving summertime smoothies and ice cream.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
4. Dot and Grid Cardigan: When the outdoors heat up and our office blasts the AC, we'll sport this lightweight mixed-pattern pink, cream, and chocolate cardi.
5. Metallic Sandal: So minimal. So chic. So needs to be in our closet.