Marshall Shore's Phoenix Wish List for 2013
To wrap up 2012 and kick off the new year, we've asked a group of local activists, artists, architects, and business owners to put together a Phoenix wish list for 2013. Up today: Marshall Shore.
Marshall Shore and the "People's Flag of Arizona"
Scottsdale Public Art
Marshall Shore is a performer, community leader, and swanky dresser (in his own style). Some even say a gadabout. Self-proclaimed "hip historian," he chooses to ignore the all-too-common claim "this place has no history." Instead, he's on a mission to connect the community to Arizona's classic and kitschy pop culture past and present. Fans enjoy his flair, unique spin, and genuine reverence for all things Arizona.
This year marks 13 years of Shore being in Arizona. He says it's looking to be an exciting year, starting with a state tour to talking about the history of Route 66 and spearheading a group putting together artist-designed miniature golf at the Icehouse to commemorate Artlink's and the Icehouse's 25th anniversary. Here are a few of his wishes for 2013:
1. Save neon! So little is left. Those downed signs languishing could be lit up again and placed in a highly visible place like along the light rail!
2. Acquire an item of clothing that's outrageous and wear it out.
3. Put something foreign in your mouth. Ethnic food is becoming more accessible. Via food trucks, lightrail/ bus, and of course automobile.
4. Go see some performance art. There are many venues, from Crescent Ballroom, Icehouse, Stray Cat Theatre, FilmBar . . . too many to mention here.
5. Learn about a cool building in your neighborhood and share it with someone.
6. Take $3, enter a thrift store, buy the most hideous thing you can find, and give it way. Remember you can and paint, embellish, or leave it au naturel.
7. Go to a museum and explore. Go ahead and get lost among the work of arts.
8. Savor a cocktail! This is more about the quality of the libation than quantity. With a growing cocktail scene, this is getting easier and best enjoyed with friends.
9. Dust yourself of and learn a new skill, either by taking a class or enlisting the help of others.
10. Attend Art Detour's 25th Anniversary and support local artists.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Phoenix, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.