Nine Creative Workshops to Attend In June and July
If you're tired of shopping for items to make that project you pinned on Pinterest just to escape your house, you're in luck. We have nine workshops you can attend this summer that'll provide more than a few ways to get going ....
9. PAPER CRAFTS: GREETING CARD @ Mesa Arts Center If you plan to attend this workshop you will no longer have to give out generic cards with cheesy sentiments. Make your own card at the Mesa Art Center on Friday, June 22 from 6 to 9 p.m.. Pamela Parker will teach you how to make cards using several techniques such as the soot technique, Word Card, Masculine Card, Center Fold Card and Feminine Card for $22. Ages 16 and up are welcome to attend.
8. PAPER! Play - Drawing @ Phoenix Art Museum For ZERO dollars (free) the Phoenix Art Museum will be holding sketch-a-thons, gesture drawings, and Exquisite Corpse drawings (yes, we said corpse, but don't fret, it is a style and no dead bodies or zombies will be present). All ages and talents are welcome and you can come and go as you please. The date is June 27, from 6: 30 to 8:30 p.m.. This is a part of an on going series of workshops having to do with paper.
7.Paper Making Workshop @Phoenix Art Museum Break out your blender and make some margaritas, er, Paper! Rachel Nore and Gabriela Munoz lead a workshop at the Phoenix Art Museum on July 14 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. where they will teach you the artistry of papermaking. Members pay $25, non-members pay $30.
6. Journaling with Watercolor Washes, Basic Printmaking, Colored Pencils@Scottsdale Civic Center Library Doodles and scraps don't cut it for your journals anymore, artists. Haven't you seen the awesome journaling ideas posted by Tinkerlab on Pinterest? Learn to make your journal better by using mixed media techniques like block prints and washes on Saturday June 23 from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. for (drumroll ...) free.
5.Drawing with Thread 2@Scottsdale Civic Center Library If you think sewing is just for Grandma or fibers majors, think again. You can learn to use a thread and needle as an instrument of art. Acquire the know-how to add dimension to your 2-D work by creating textures and patterns in a workshop led by local artist Saskia Jorda, June 30 from 3 to 4 p.m.. Oh yeah, this one's free too.
4.Creating Books from Recycled Materials@ Art Intersection Do you have some magazines or books laying around? Learn how to transform them into three different books using no glue, just a thread and needle. The workshop, on July 10 from 6 to 9 p.m is $55 (all materials included).
3.Cyanotype on Silk Scarves@ Art Intersection If you love scarves and photography, you'll want to take notes. Learn to create beautiful blue and white scarves using photo imagery or items from nature along with photographic chemistry. Can you say handmade gifts?! Elise Deringer, fiber artist, will be leading this workshop at Art Intersection in Gilbert on July 14 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. for $85, including materials.
2. Monoprint workshop @ Phoenix Arts Lab Guest artist Joe Ray will teach a class of ten how to make monoprints at the Phoenix Arts Lab on Saturday June 23 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (snacks included). Cost ($140) covers all the supplies needed but he does ask that you bring your own ideas.
1. The Art of Image Transfer@ Utrecht Art Supplies Tempe Learn how to transfer images to other materials in the workshop lead by local artist Beth Kramer Saturday June 23, from 1 to 3 p.m.. The workshop is free.
Get the Arts and Theater Newsletter
Weekly information keeping you in the know when it comes to the Phoenix art and theater scene. Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events.