Although Christmas might be just over two weeks away, Santa Claus came to town this past weekend. As did Pimp Santa, S&M Santa, and Darth Santa, as well as an entourage consisting of countless sexy reindeer, dozens of drunken elves, and numerous walking holiday trees in tow.
This year's edition of the annual Christmastime costumed bar crawl Santarchy took place on Saturday night and the turnout was enormous. More than 500 participants dressed in Santa suits and other holiday-inspired getups besieged multiple Old Town nightlife establishments - ranging from Giligin's and Martini Ranch to American Junkie and The Lodge - overwhelming bartenders and packing each place to capacity. Amongst all the raucous revelers were nine unique Santas which caught our eye because their utter creativity.
9. Santa Clown Everyone loves a clown (except for coulrophobics, that is), especially when they're also dressed as Santa Claus, like this humorous scamp that we encountered at Spanish Fly. Unlike most dudes who wear clown makeup out in public, however, he wasn't of the trashy Insane Clown Posse-loving Juggalo variety and instead is a bonafide member of the Seattle Seafair Clowns (a group of street performers who also work with charitable organizations in the Emerald City).
8. Sinterklaas According to history, the legend of Santa Claus is partially inspired by the fourth century Greek bishop Saint Nicholas, who was renowned for his charitable nature and generously providing gifts to the impoverished masses.
Over the ensuing centuries, his story eventually morphed into the European fable known as Sinterklaas, which in turn became part of modern folklore surrounding the Christmastime figure.
This Santarchy regular, who's particpated in the event for a few years now, created a very elaborate costume that both honors Kris Kringle's historical roots and faithfully depicts Saint Nicholas/Sinterklaas, from his flowing canonical vestments and robes right down to the bushy beard and crucifix-adorned crozier staff.
8. Camouflage Santa Much like the original Santa, this camo-clad huntress is in search of some choice reindeer, although the horned-and-hooved creatures won't be pulling any magical sleighs through the skies above. Instead, she aims to transform 'em into wall decorations or tasty venison dinners via her trusty double-barrel shotgun.
6. Santa Anarchy This Mohawked dude took the whole theme of Santarchy quite literally and decked himself out in punk rock fashion, complete with plaid kilt and leather boots. The cotton balls on the ends of each of his spiked hair were also a nice touch.
5. Biker Santa When we encountered this particularly interesting fellow strolling down 75th Street on his way past American Junkie, the first thought that popped into our heads was "Uh...Wolverine Santa," probably because he sported some heavy-duty facial scruff similar to the clawed Marvel comic book character and member of the X-Men.
Turns out he wasn't riffing on Wolverine, but was instead calling himself "Biker Santa" and proceeded to remove his leather motorcycle jacket and show off his, er...fancily wrapped package, which included a pair of jingle bells attached. And as you can see from our photo, he also was also clad in a pair of chaps, which were of the assless variety.
We refrained from grabbing a picture of that, however. You're welcome.
4. Gangnam Style Santa Given the phenomenal worldwide popularity of South Korean pop star Psy's viral hit "Gangnam Style," we weren't surprised to see someone dressed as a Santa inspired by the song and it's creator. Thing is, we were probably one of the few to actually recognize the outfit as such. "Everyone kept asking me, 'Are you James Bond?'" says the gentleman who wore the outfit. Thankfully, he restrained himself from yelling out "Hey, sexy ladies!" or doing Psy's signature horseriding move.
3. Satan Claus The demonic antithesis of Santa, who came out with pitchfork in hand and had a hellacious good time engaging in a serious amount of sinful behavior all evening.
2. Angus Young Santa If you'll pardon the pun, this character's mashup of AC/DC co-founder Angus Young and Kris Kringle was dyn-o-mite (see what we did there?). His ensemble had all the details down pat, from the schoolboy outfit to the guitarist's signature scowl. We caught up with the rock 'n' roller in between Spanish Fly and American Junkie and stopped him for a pic, but sadly forgot to ask if he could pull off the duckwalk.
1. S&M Santa As the story goes, Santa maintains a list of folks who've been both naughty and nice every single year when deciding who's getting pimp presents and who's getting coal in their stocking.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
This black-clad variant of Father Christmas, however, is only interested in a list of those who've been bad, particularly members of the female persuasion. After all, he's got plenty of punishment to dispense to those lascivious ladies. As such, he not only wore dictator-like paramilitary hat, but also had handcuffs, a paddle, and other wicked looking accessories hanging from his belt.
Wanna sit on his lap?