Russell Brand Coming to Orpheum Theatre in Downtown Phoenix Sept. 7
Courtesy of Russell Brand
Things tend to be funnier when presented in a British accent, case and point: Monty Python. You know it's true.
In the case of comedian Russel Brand the English accent may or may not account for part of his ability to make us laugh...more likely it's that he usually acts totally coked out and talks about very inappropriate things.
Fans of Brand and his eyeliner-laden antics will be able to catch him live and in the pale white flesh this fall when he takes to the Orpheum Theatre stage September 7. Mark your calendars and grab your wallet 'cause tickets go on sale Friday, June 14.
Brand will stop in Phoenix during his tour, dubbed "World Tour, Messiah Complex." In addition to Phoenix and more than a dozen other U.S. cities, the tour will hit the U.K. and Canada. Brand and a few of his "outsider (by which I mean they live outside) chums" talk about the tour in the video below.
Warning: it's midly NSFW.
If you're not in the know about the off-the-wall-ness that is Russell Brand, here are a few highlights from his illustrious career as a talk show host, actor, author and comedian:
1. He was first introduced to most American audiences in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, a film in which he played a zany-but-philosophical sex and drug addicted rock star -- at first we thought it was a super funny character, but quickly realized it's pretty much just how he is.
2. He told talk show host Chelsea Handler he was fired from MTV after he showed up to work dressed as Osama bin Laden on September 12, 2001.
3. While working for MTV he introduced Kylie Minogue to his drug dealer and it didn't go over well.
4. He claims to have slept with more than 2,000 women. (We believe him.)
5. He was married to Katie Perry, but the couple divorced in 2011.
6. He's been sober (he used to be addicted to heroine, sex and alcohol) since 2003.
7. And has since shown interest in the Hare Krishna movement.
If any or all of that sounds like the kind of action you want to get in on, you can experience Brand when he comes to Phoenix on September 7. He'll perform at 8 p.m. at the Orpheum Theatre in downtown Phoenix.
Tickets cost $35 and go on sale this Friday, June 14 at 10 a.m. via www.ticketmaster.com. The World Tour, Messiah Complex kicks off June 12 in Chicago.
Get the Arts and Theater Newsletter
Weekly information keeping you in the know when it comes to the Phoenix art and theater scene. Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events.