Saint 22: Knitting Supplies, Beekman Soap, and Original Artwork at a Whimsical Indie Boutique
Saint 22, at 15th Avenue and Thomas Road, hasn't been open long, but it's already a conversation topic -- and with good cause.
Owners Kelly Hale, Glen Purvis, Kathy Apodoca, and Rick Wood know just what their neighborhood needs (and wants): bright, unique décor, eclectic must-haves--from dog collars to pillows--and a plethora of yarn supplies.
"It's not your grandmother's knitting anymore," says Hale, who's also Sky Harbor Airport's Corporate Visual Director. He and Purvis, the resident knitting wizard, long wished to combine their passions for retail and knitting and open a shop. Many opportunities fell apart, but recently, when the owner of JP McGurkee's Sandwich Shop two doors down announced that the space was open, Saint 22 became a reality.
The name stands for Simple Accessories Inspired Necessities 4 Today. Local artist Kersten Easthope painted the pin-up pictured in the logo (see photo above) to represent Hale's sister, who passed away at the age of 22.
Rancho Solano Preparatory School: Fiddler on the Roof Jr.
TicketsThu., Apr. 27, 7:00pm
TicketsFri., Apr. 28, 8:00pm
Beauty and the Beast by Ballet Etudes
TicketsSat., Apr. 29, 2:00pm
Thunder From Down Under
TicketsThu., May. 4, 8:00pm
Chris Rock: Total Blackout Tour 2017
TicketsSat., May. 6, 7:00pm
We popped in to check out the goods. Find out what we'd take, what we'd leave and why we'd go back after the jump.
Things We're Taking Home:
1. Rising International Clothing: Created by women in Nepal, these beautiful items are not only chic and comfortable, but are Fair Trade, providing a source of income for the artists and their families. They're not a bad price, either, with tees from $22 to hoodies for $50.
2. Playing Card Plates: Who needs Urban Outfitters when great kitschy kitchenware can be found at a local business? For $14 each, we're buying all four.
3. Paddywax Library Line: Commemorate your favorite literary giant without opening a book. For $8.99, these candles include quotes from authors like Jane Austen and Leo Tolstoy and are made with soy and beeswax.
4. Rosette pillows: Add floral frill to your chaise lounge with soft cushions for $26 each.
5. Beekman 1802 Soap: Crafted by the stars behind Planet Green's The Fabulous Beekman Boys, this artisan soap is chemical-free. Keep your skin healthy for $18-22 a bar.
Things on our wish list:
1. Kersten Easthope Original Artwork: Invest in a talented local artist with these hand-painted plaques:$200 each.
2. Artichoke Candle Holders: They may seem silly, but these are sturdy, fun, and cute conversation pieces for $39 each.
3. Dog Collars: Give your pooch a chance to shine with stylish and well-made collars ranging from $45 to $55.
4. Awake Couture: This L.A. designer gives a twist to traditional cotton tanks for around $60 each.
We left behind....
A Flower Sifter Lamp. It's cute and it's country but reminded us a little too much of Grandma's kitchen.
One reason to go back...
The owners were so welcoming, the store immediately felt like home. We'd go back just to chat...or be inspired by the whimsical décor...or listen to the pleasant music. For local shoppers/artists/tourists on the hunt, Saint 22 is a must.
Saint 22 is located at 1507 West Thomas Rd in Phoenix. Visit the store Wednesday through Saturday 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Beginning knitting classes will be offered starting this summer; contact the store for details and "like" them on Facebook.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Phoenix art and theater scene.