Seven Creative Summer Workshops in Phoenix
If you're sticking around for summer and looking for a few great excuses to get out and get creative, you're in luck. We have seven ...
7. Circus Workshop with 7 Fingers @ Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts There's nothing for boosting creativity like a little exercise, and this Friday, the performers of 7 Fingers, a local acrobatic troupe are dishing out tips, tricks, and a high-flying workout session from noon to 1:30 p.m.. The class includes floor tumbling, flexibility, hand balancing, and human pyramids, and is limited to 40 members.
Basic knowledge of gymnastics is suggested, but not required, and class participants must be at least 12 years old. The class will take place inside the Virginia G. Piper Theater at the Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts and enrollment is $15.
6. Hand Lettering and Typography @ Scottsdale Civic Center Library Local artist Sarah Hurwitz knows a thing or two about illustration, hand lettering, and how to host a kickass workshop. And this Saturday, she's welcoming the public to Scottsdale Civic Center Library for an interactive session on Hand-lettering and Contemporary Typography.
Hurwitz, with the team from Scottdale Public Art's 1000 Journals/100+ Journals project, will school participants in decorative fonts, classic ones, and letters that act more as individual images and less as words. She'll be in the Scottsdale Civic Center Library on May 19 from 4 to 5 p.m.. The workshop is free and open to the public.
The All-Star Comedy Explosion
TicketsSat., Apr. 15, 8:00pm
An American in Paris
TicketsTue., Apr. 18, 7:30pm
Rancho Solano Preparatory School: Fiddler on the Roof Jr.
TicketsThu., Apr. 27, 7:00pm
Beauty and the Beast by Ballet Etudes
TicketsSat., Apr. 29, 2:00pm
Thunder From Down Under
TicketsThu., May. 4, 8:00pm
This month's session (on May 26) carries a few bonuses: participants will be gearing up for International Yarn Bombing Day (June 9), and showing up early, for a two-hour lesson from knitting instructor Gwynne Sullivan. Sullivan, of Bewilderknits, will be dishing out techniques, stitches, and projects. Sullivan's class is $20 and the Open Knit is free. Knit Kits are available at Practical Art.
4. Drawing with Thread @ Scottsdale Civic Center Library Saskia Jorda will lead the summer's second 1000 Journals/100+ Journals workshop at Scottsdale Civic Center Library armed with needle and thread.
The local artist explores mapping, line work, pattern and texture with string on paper from 6 to 7 p.m. on Wednesday, May 30. The workshop is free and open to the public.
3. Ceramics: Beginning Hand Building @ Mesa Arts Center Mesa Arts Center is bringing out the clay this summer from June 6 to July 25 in a weekly Wednesday class from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. with local sculptor Jesse Armstrong.
The class ($124 R $148 NR) curriculum includes handbuilding techniques (pinch coil slab and simple molds) as well as surface design through stamps slips and glaze. A bag of one ten clay and a basic pottery tool kit will be needed for the first class. Participants must be at least 16 years old.
2. Introduction to Photo-based Collage Techniques @ Art Intersection Collage doesn't require glue -- just ask photographer Carol Panaro-Smith, who will teach a room full of participants at Art Intersection on June 12 from 6 to 9 p.m., how to make copies of either your own images or appropriated images from a variety of sources and transfer those images onto new surfaces.
Techniques include heat transfer, solvent transfer, contact and tape transfer as well as gel medium transfer. The class is $65 and includes all materials.
1. Synclastic/Anticlastic Forming @ Phoenix Center for the Arts Try your hand at jewelry making with local artist John Tzelepis. The weekly class, from June 28 to August 9 will provide basic instruction of hammers, stakes, and the synclastic or anticlastic sinking process required to make contemporary jewelry. The class, from 1 to 4 p.m. is open to the public. Tuition is $115.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Phoenix art and theater scene.