Seven Summer Trends to Avoid (Please)
www.style.com; Courtesy of Alexander Wang; Courtesy of Derek Lam; Courtesy of Prada
Consider yourself warned.
Whether IRL or in an ill-advised Instagram-in-the-dressing-room pic (really, why is that a thing now?), we shudder to imagine these seven trends on you and your loved ones. Even your worst enemies don't deserve subjection to such upsetting dressing.
7. Ankle Socks with Sandals So maybe on a really good, exceptionally girlish day Zooey Deschanel could pull this off. And, yeah, Prada, Derek Lam, and Alexander Wang officially condone it. But no woman below Zooey levels of wide-eyed, giggly quirkiness can carry this sanity-defying trend. Get a pedi or put on closed-toe shoes. End of discussion.
Sporty Platform Sneaker by Jeffrey Campbell
6. Flatforms Flatforms = platform flats. It sounds like no-duh advice, but as a general rule avoid testing out any trends that Scary Spice partook in -- including that twisty, wired horn hairdo, head-to-toe leopard print, flatforms as boots, sneakers, and in general.
5. Head-to-toe Prints Ah, yes, speaking of Mel B.'s penchant for all-over, loud patterns and prints, we're gonna be sticklers and say that this one's a bad idea. Don't believe it when fashion mags say, "It's so easy to mix polka dots and plaid! You can do it!" Here's the thing: You probably can't. So probably don't.
4. Peplum So, you think you want to give peplum a try? Did you see Elizabeth Banks at the Met Ball? No? Trust us, these pics will immediately have you jumping off the omg! peplum is sooo cute ship.
Bra tops from Proenza Schouler, Donna Karan, Prada, and Roland Mouret
3. Bra Tops Belly button-baring shirts had their time and place in Britney Spears' pre-meltdown career and the wardrobe of the original cast of Beverly Hills 90210. Meaning: Unless you're a teenage superstar with a bangin' bod, exploring the challenging world of bare midriffs should not be on your summer agenda.
Mischa Barton and Audrina Partridge unfortunately rocking the see-through top trend.
2. Snakeskin Jeans Look. Loving Kanye West is no crime. But wearing snakeskin pants because they were a part of his first fashion line is an unacceptable homage to the music man. That's not to mention the awful stench that will emanate from your butt sweat given the season's unavoidable high temps.
1. Sheer Fabrics Wearing your super cool bra top under a see-through shirt will not make you fashionable. Two wrongs don't magically make a right.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Phoenix, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.