Ten Favorite Shots in Metro Phoenix
There are just a few more hours until you can kick back and call it a weekend. And if you're looking for adventure (not that you'll remember it tomorrow), we have a few killer concoctions that should get the night going.
Shots are any bartender's excuse to mix a handful of ingredients, get creative (and shamelessly dirty) with a name, and charge a couple bucks to watch a few suckers take it in one gulp. There are plenty of shots to take in the Valley, but here are a few of our favorites:
10.The Tongue in the Panties at Crescent Ballroom Jamie Rivas, the girl behind the bar at Downtown's new music venue/super-chill hangout spot, The Lounge at Crescent Ballroom, has something she guarantees will kick start the dance party -- a Tongue in the Panties. A mix of Southern Comfort, vodka, amaretto, peach schnapps, OJ, pineapple juice, this concoction guarantees a hangover that's worth every minute.
9. The Pink Pussy at Champions Sports Saloon Andrea Eerdmans at Champions Sports Saloon in Gilbert doesn't beat around the bush. She makes this shot because it adds to her customers' bar tabs without getting them annoyingly wasted, and it's very smooth. Okay, we admit it's hard to get your mind out of the gutter on this one.
8. Sex with a Muggle at Turf Irish Pub Kevin Lamoureaux at Turf Irish Pub in Downtown Phoenix has a little something for all the Harry Potter dweeb fans who know what a "muggle" is. If you don't and just need a quick buzz -- well, bottoms up. The mix of Jagermeister, chambord, madori, sweet & sour, and banana liqueur is a little sweet, a little sour, and somewhat awkward. Sex with a foreign non-magical someone? Yeah, that sounds about right.
7. The Pantie Dropper at Armadillo Grill Eryn Brody at Armadillo Grill in Phoenix says that this one is her go-to for the chicks at her bar asking for an "easy" shot. Fair warning: This sweet and pungent item -- full of Bacardi limon, chambord, splash of sweet 'n sour and sprite -- might be a little too easy to drop ... in the back of our throats, of course. Boys, feel free to thank Eryn on the tip line of your credit card receipt.
6. The Pug Fart at The Rogue Bar After this aptly titled, hot-dog-infused treat shot, the Rogue's Gina David and her shot will forever be ingrained in our minds, er mouths. David admits that the mixture of Kahlua, Baileys, Crown Royal, and one (cooked) hot dog is a bit like a "dove shot" but not layered ... and really disgusting. She also has a pug, so we'll leave the rest to you.
5. The Nikolashka at Kazimierz World Wine Bar Chris Lingua at Kazimierz World Wine Bar in Old Town Scottsdale says that this little beauty is official -- the official house shot, that is -- and keeps the vibe in the Kaz Bar house stylish, smooth, and super sexy. The Nikolashka is equal parts Presidente Brandy and Kruskovac pear liqueur with a sugared lime wheel. Our advice: Bite the lime and take in the warm subtle sweetness with an acidic citrus kick to balance it all out.
4. The Tootsie Pop at The Little Woody Tyler Christensen at The Little Woody created this pop shot to represent The Little Woody owl theme of the bar and to take us back to the "how many licks" tootsie pop commercial when we were kids. Christensen says that being young, having fun, and losing inhibitions is what a bar should be all about, and -- with a nice balance of 3 Olives Grape, Kahlua, grape pucker, and splash of OJ -- we couldn't agree more.
3. The Blueberry Lemon Drop at Zipps Sports Bar Arcadia Emma Bisner at Zipps Sports Bar Arcadia has a shot we actually trust. Why? Because she admits its her personal fave to take, not make just to get a good laugh at the shot-taking subject who later falls on their buzzed behind. Her creation is Blueberry Stoli, triple sec, sweet 'n sour, a dash of sugar, and a sugar rim. A familiar name, a sugared rim, and a bartender's stamp of good-tasting approval means no face scrunching. Blaming the "wet floor" for our fall to the ground? Totally necessary.
2. The Boner Prescription at JT's Bar & Grill Rebecca Harrington at reputable Arcadia 'hood hole-in-the-wall sports dive JT's Bar & Grill has the goods to fix a rather specific problem that may, or may not, be associated with your Spring Training woes. Sports-loving weirdo or not, this little number, with Tuaca Vanilla Citrus Liqueur and pineapple juice, is known to turn your frown -- er, something -- in the upright direction.
1. Liquid Marijuana at Pattie's Jason Lauesen at Pattie's has the hook up on the kind of green you need for Friday night debauchery. But this smooth substance -- with Bacardi Limon, triple sec, sweet n sour, and a splash of Midori -- is legal and liquid. Get your mind out of the gutter.
Get the Arts and Theater Newsletter
Weekly information keeping you in the know when it comes to the Phoenix art and theater scene. Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events.