Top 5 Things to Do This Weekend
Ed Flores Courtesy of Scorpius Dance Theatre
See also: Five Favorite Project Runway Moments See also: New Times' Calendar of Events See also: The Dark Knight Rises Is an Awe-Inspiring but Cumbersome Affair
Looking for ways to fill up your weekend? Here are your five best bets for getting out and about.
5. Scorpius Dance and Show Marathon @ Metro Arts Move and shake with Scorpius when the dance troupe hosts a series of classes, including ballet, jazz, and burlesque, on Friday and Saturday at 3 p.m. and 10 a.m., respectively. At 8 p.m. on both evenings the troupe will perform a summer showcase. The cost is $10 per class, three classes for $20, and $42 for a full day. Tickets to the performance are $15 in advance and $20 the day of. All events take place at Metropolitan Arts Institute.
3. LGBT Summer Jam @ Rocky Point Cantina Lavish Events and LGBT Arizona host a bash complete with twerk competition (here's a NSFW twerking explanation and how-to, courtesy of Lady), a wet T-shirt contest, and DJ Unknown in the mix. Admission is $10 in advance and $15 at the door. The 18-plus party starts at 9 p.m. Friday at Rocky Point Cantina.
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II Pizza Party @ MADCAP Theaters This is the second annual edition of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pizza party, this time featuring the second live action flick (far more light-hearted than the first) which finds the sewer crew battling the Foot Clan and seeking the story behind the gunk that made them mutants. See it Saturday at 8 p.m. MADCAP. Tickets are $12 to $30.
Flickr via Matt Dinnery
2. Splash Mob 5K @ Kiwanis Park Water guns and balloons will keep runners and walkers cool during this 5K at Kiwanis Park. The race begins on Saturday at 7 a.m. Last-minute registration for race participants is $35. Those who wish to act as splashers can donate two items as registration.
1. Bubbles N' Bass Foam Party @ Sky Lounge Arizona Party Rockers host the final foam fiesta in the Bubbles N' Bass series takes place at Sky Lounge on Sunday at 9 p.m. In addition to the foamy fun, the party includes a wet T-shirt contest, plus hip-hop, electro, and Latin jams. Before 11 p.m. over-18 entry is $7 for ladies and $10 for guys, over-21 entry is free.
Get the Arts and Theater Newsletter
Weekly information keeping you in the know when it comes to the Phoenix art and theater scene. Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events.