Top 5 Things to Do This Weekend
Ed Flores Courtesy of Scorpius Dance Theatre
See also: Five Favorite Project Runway Moments See also: New Times' Calendar of Events See also: The Dark Knight Rises Is an Awe-Inspiring but Cumbersome Affair
Looking for ways to fill up your weekend? Here are your five best bets for getting out and about.
5. Scorpius Dance and Show Marathon @ Metro Arts Move and shake with Scorpius when the dance troupe hosts a series of classes, including ballet, jazz, and burlesque, on Friday and Saturday at 3 p.m. and 10 a.m., respectively. At 8 p.m. on both evenings the troupe will perform a summer showcase. The cost is $10 per class, three classes for $20, and $42 for a full day. Tickets to the performance are $15 in advance and $20 the day of. All events take place at Metropolitan Arts Institute.
3. LGBT Summer Jam @ Rocky Point Cantina Lavish Events and LGBT Arizona host a bash complete with twerk competition (here's a NSFW twerking explanation and how-to, courtesy of Lady), a wet T-shirt contest, and DJ Unknown in the mix. Admission is $10 in advance and $15 at the door. The 18-plus party starts at 9 p.m. Friday at Rocky Point Cantina.
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II Pizza Party @ MADCAP Theaters This is the second annual edition of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pizza party, this time featuring the second live action flick (far more light-hearted than the first) which finds the sewer crew battling the Foot Clan and seeking the story behind the gunk that made them mutants. See it Saturday at 8 p.m. MADCAP. Tickets are $12 to $30.
Flickr via Matt Dinnery
2. Splash Mob 5K @ Kiwanis Park Water guns and balloons will keep runners and walkers cool during this 5K at Kiwanis Park. The race begins on Saturday at 7 a.m. Last-minute registration for race participants is $35. Those who wish to act as splashers can donate two items as registration.
1. Bubbles N' Bass Foam Party @ Sky Lounge Arizona Party Rockers host the final foam fiesta in the Bubbles N' Bass series takes place at Sky Lounge on Sunday at 9 p.m. In addition to the foamy fun, the party includes a wet T-shirt contest, plus hip-hop, electro, and Latin jams. Before 11 p.m. over-18 entry is $7 for ladies and $10 for guys, over-21 entry is free.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Phoenix art and theater scene.