Top 5 Things to Do This Weekend
Whether you're looking for art, fashion, literature, poolside partying, or William Shatner, here are your best bets for being out and about this weekend.
5. Phoenix Comicon @ Phoenix Convention Center Nerd alert. Comicon's back and this year features a massive lineup of pop culture-infused haps including an appearance by The Shat (among some 200 special guests), and more than 500 panels and discussions, and, of course, plenty of parties to keep the geeks going after hours. Suit up as your character of choice and head over to the Phoenix Convention Center. The con continues through Sunday, and admission starts at $25 per day.
4. Final Friday Art Walk Arbitrary Arts is starting up a monthly art walk for Tempe townies to enjoy every final Friday. So far stops include Here on The Corner, Cartel, Taste of Tops, and soon-to-be closed Wet Paint. (Peep the map here.) There's no cost to participate. Get walking at 6 p.m.
Model Paloma Teran
3. Latino Fashion Live @ Wild Horse Pass For a whole lotta color and summer style inspiration, pencil in this fashion show with a bill full of pieces from international designers including Carolina Herrera, Tous, and Roberto Botticelli. Get an eyeful at 8 p.m. on Saturday at Wild Horse Pass. Tickets are $25 to $100.
2. Matt de la Peña @ Changing Hands Tucson High School banned author Matt de la Peña's teen novel Mexican Whiteboy. Why? It contains "critical race theory." Luckily, Valley dwellers will get a closer look at the book ($8.99) when de la Peña discuses and signs it at Changing Hands on Sunday at 3 p.m.
1. Memorial Day Weekend Pool Party @ The Saguaro What good is a three-day summer weekend if you don't squeeze in a little pool action? For a special edition of The Saguaro's Swim Social weekends, Sunday's sunny festivities will go down from 2 to 9 p.m. and include poolside jams from Sean Watson, DJ Hartbreaks, Doug Brown, and Hoodwinks. Admission is $5.
For more things to do this weekend, check out our calendar.
Get the Arts and Theater Newsletter
Weekly information keeping you in the know when it comes to the Phoenix art and theater scene. Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events.