Top 5 Things to Do This Weekend
The Valley's famed for its summertime slowdown. Lucky for locals, it's easy to find ways to rev up the weekend. Tonight's Third Friday (stay tuned for our must-sees) and hotel pools are at their finest. Here are five more recommendations for this weekend.
5. Dulce Dance: Core @ Tempe Center for the Arts With Core, Dulce's dancers explore what inner inspiration drives and propels daily life. See the company's season closer at Tempe Center for the Arts on Friday at 8 p.m. Tickets are $10.
4. Shaun of the Dead Screening @ MADCAP When it comes to zombie movies, we generally lean towards ones tinged with humor. (We will fully admit to being Grade A chickens.) And Shaun of the Dead fits the scary-funny bill perfectly. Cult Classics fittingly screens the flick during Zombie Awareness Month. See it at MADCAP on Friday at 8 p.m., followed by a double feature screening of Shaun and Juan of the Dead starting at 10:30. Tickets are $10 to $20.
Get ready for next week's comic craziness with a Bookmans bash.
3. Spring Fling Pub Crawl Dig into downtown with an 18-stop pub crawl that includes stops at Bar Smith, Ghost Lounge, and Lucky Strike. Trolley buses will shuttle revelers from bar to bar after checking in at 1st Avenue and Adams Street to obtain wristbands. The 21-and-over crawl will go down on Saturday from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m., ending with a late-night breakfast at Steve's Greenhouse Grill. Tickets are $12 in advance and $15 the day of the event.
2. Slam Dunk Contest @ San Marquis Retired Suns small forward Cedric Ceballos hosts this dunk showdown on Saturday at San Marquis. Complimentary breakfast and refreshments will be served to amp up competitors, and DJs will be on hand to soundtrack the slamming. (Don't worry the Suns Gorilla will attend, too.) Admission is free to the 8 to 10 a.m. event.
1. Controllers & Canvas @ Bookmans Gear up for Comicon with nerdcentric haps in Mesa, including a video art demo, on-display art, costume tutorials and a contest, and a performance by Nintendo rockers The Minibosses. The pop culture curiosities come together at Bookmans on Saturday from 4 to 8 p.m. Admission is free.
For more things to do this weekend, take a gander at our calendar.
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Phoenix, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.