Top 5 Things to Do This Weekend
Don't fool yourself into Netflixing away another weekend. Here are you five best bets for being out and about for the next couple of days.
5. Craig Chenery Book-Signing @ Monsterland Zombie aficionado and movie buff Craig Chenrey knows a thing or two about undead gore and what it takes to scare the pants off thrill-seekers. He'll sign and discuss For his book Blood Splatter: A Guide to Cinematic Zombie Violence, Gore and Special Effects he watched hundreds of living dead flicks and interviewed the creatives behind the creepy makeup and trickery. He'll sign and discuss the eerie exposé from 9 to 11 p.m. at Monsterland on Friday.
4. Bloomsday Celebration @ Irish Cultural Center Lit lovers with a shining toward James Joyce's stream-of-conscious tome Ulysses can party à la protagonist Leopold Bloom during Bloomsday from 7 to 11 p.m. Saturday at the Irish Cultural Center. Tickets are $25 in advance at $35 at the gate for those who intend to indulge, $10 for teetotalers, and $1 for kids.
3. Summer Solstice Swimsuit Ride @ Tempe Beach Park Join the Tempe Bicycle Action Group for a watery ride through the city featuring stops at pools, fountains, and sprinklers. The H20-laden grand finale? That'll be an epic water balloon fight. Suit up for the ride which begins at Tempe Beach Park at 2 p.m. Participation is free.
Rancho Solano Preparatory School: Fiddler on the Roof Jr.
TicketsThu., Apr. 27, 7:00pm
TicketsFri., Apr. 28, 8:00pm
Beauty and the Beast by Ballet Etudes
TicketsSat., Apr. 29, 2:00pm
Thunder From Down Under
TicketsThu., May. 4, 8:00pm
Chris Rock: Total Blackout Tour 2017
TicketsSat., May. 6, 7:00pm
2. Summer of Love Pool Party @ The District at Mountain Vista Apartments Steve Levine Entertainment and Mark Taylor continue their summer-long series of pool partying on Saturday. at The District with jams from Nightclub and DJ Soloman and plenty of giveaways. Get in on the free fun in the sun from 1 to 5 p.m
1. Encore Meets Fashion @ Tempe Center for the Arts Tap, ballet, and hip-hop dancers from Encore will perform twice on Sunday at Tempe Center for the Arts at 2 and 5 p.m. There will also be a fashion show featuring looks from Evolution Dancewear Co. Tickets are $15 and doors open half an hour before showtime.
For more things to do this weekend, sneak a peek at our calendar.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Phoenix art and theater scene.