Top 5 Things to Do This Weekend
Between Friday the 13th and Tax Day next Tuesday, going into full-on isolationist mode might sound like the smartest way to spend the weekend.
We have to disagree because there's too much can't-miss action going down this weekend: Karen Gravano has a book signing, Monsterland is reopening, and, in case you're positive that the end is nigh, the Zombie Research Society is having a cookout. But, as always, we have five more top picks for ways to spend your weekend.
5. LollyPOP Vintage Launch @ Eclectic Monkey Emporium Last year we named Eclectic Monkey the best thrift shop that wasn't meant to be a thrift shop, because it had originally opened to service domestic violence victims. But the shop puts another notch in its thrifty belt on Friday by launching a vintage section stocked with goodies from LollyPOP Vintage. To celebrate the launch, Eclectic Monkey is throwing a party on Friday from 7 to 10 p.m. with food, drinks, and live music during downtown Mesa's Second Friday. Admission is free.
4. Maxim Hometown Hotties @ W Scottsdale Local lookers will throwdown poolside in hopes of landing a feature in Maxim as part of the mag's nationwide search for its 2013 edition of Hometown Hotties. Admission is free; cabanas and daybeds are available for a fee. Get an eyeful of glam on Saturday at W Hotel Scottsdale from 1 to 5 p.m.
3. Beyond The Myth Screening @ Madcap Theaters One of this month's must-see movies , Beyond the Myth looks at discrimination against pit bulls in the form of legislative breed discrimination in Miami, Denver, Cincinnati, and San Francisco. Exploring the impact of dog bans and roundups of breeds deemed unsafe, the film contrasts the nasty reputation of pit bulls with experiences and testimony from animal advocates and researchers. The documentary screens at Madcap Theaters on Saturday at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. Tickets are $10.
2. Midnight Crit @ Tempe Beach Park State Bicycle Co. and Red Bull have teamed up to host Midnight Crit, a fixie-centric night race that serves as an open qualifying round for San Francisco's Red Bull Ride + Style. Winners will receive an invite to compete in San Fran, plus hotel accommodations, party access, and prizes. Roll your way to Tempe Beach Park at 9:30 p.m. on Saturday to compete.
1. Jeffrey Ross @ Stand Up Live Comedian and "roastmaster general" Jeffrey Ross recently chatted with Jackalope Ranch, and revealed that during his performances this weekend he plans on ripping Phoenix a new one with jokes about immigration, idiot politicians, the heat, and maybe even a few sacred cows. Get ready for a seriously funny dressing down when Ross performs at varying times Friday through Sunday at Stand Up Live. Tickets to the 18-and-up shows are $22.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Phoenix art and theater scene.