Top 5 Things to Do This Weekend
If you can manage to break away from Oscar madness this weekend (be sure to check out our Best Actress fashion picks and drinking game), here are five ways to spend your weekend.
5. Gremlins Screening @ MADCAP Theater Cult Classics presents a duo of Gremlins screenings tonight. Joe Dante's 1984 horror comedy unleashes furry little monsters on a small, unsuspecting town.
Flickr via Bayhaus
4. Wine Tasting and Bottle Repurposing @ Practical Art If Pinterest hasn't made your crafts-to-do list a mountain of under achievement, maybe a little wine will loosen up those creative juices. Tonight Practical Art hosts it's Fourth Friday swirl.sniff.sip wine tasting in conjunction with a class on morphing all those old vino bottles into vases and votives.
Bring along an empty, washed out bottle to the free event, starting at 7 p.m. See details here.
3. The Ro2 Lot: Neighborhood Mural Project It's no secret that we have a soft spot for murals (in fact, we recently listed our favorite street art) and on Saturday fellow fans can get their hands dirty with some fresh paint on Roosevelt Row from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Break out the brushes to help in creating a new public work of art at the Northeast corner of Second and Roosevelt streets alongside local artists including Colton Brock, Lalo Cota, Thomas "Breeze" Marcus, and Pablo Luna. The event is open to the public, and it's free to participate. See more here.
2. Winter Range Meet-Up @ Ben Avery Shooting Facility When SASS hosts this weekend shootout, they won't be looking for your meanest muggin' or bad attitude. That's because SASS stands for Single Action Shooting Society, and Winter Range is, as described by event organizers, a "Victorian cowboy version of a Renaissance Festival." So, feel free to dress up, speak with a twang, chow down on buffalo burgers, and use terms like "howdy."
1. Arizona Matsuri @ Heritage Square For a taste of Japanese culture, ranging from anime to martial arts, cuisine, and dance, stop by the two-day Matsuri (Japanese for festival) at Heritage Square this Saturday and Sunday, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Admission is free. See details here.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Phoenix, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.