Top 5 Things to Do This Weekend
via flickr creative commons
Looking for ways to fill up your weekend? Here are your five best bets for getting out and about.
5. Independents Week There's nothing quite like Independence Day for lighting up our love of capitalism and consumerism. It's not the fireworks or the barbecue -- This weekend we'll be out shopping, golden tickets in hand, at locally owned businesses thanks to Local First Arizona's annual Independents Week.
4. Paul Wison @ Willo North Gallery With "My Life with Lee Harvey Oswald" artist Paul Wilson recasts the infamous assassin as Mona Lisa, paper dolls, and a hottie heartthrob. See the free exhibition (with 14 new works added since its June opening) on Friday from 6 to 10 p.m. at Willo North.
Flickr via El Caganer
3. Lebowskifest 2012 @ Sail Inn Party in a Dude-approved atmosphere when Esoteric Arts hosts Lebowskifest at Sail Inn on Saturday from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. Down a few White Russians and sport a bath robe for maximum rug-avenging abilities. Admission is $5 if you sport a Lebowski-esque costume, and $7 if you don't. So, do.
2. The Life Aquatic @ The Saguaro While Bill Murray won't be making an appearance (that we know of) there will be a slew of swimsuited 20-somethings chilling poolside this Sunday at Psyko Steve and DJ Sean Watson's The Life Aquatic pool party at The Saguaro. Doors open at 1 p.m. and the partying starts at 2, with sets from DJs Hartbreaks, Goldsmith, and Don Ricardo. Tickets are $5.
1. Linotype: The Film @ Phoenix Art Museum For those with a love of antiquated technology (is that a Palm Pilot?!) the linotype is but one in a long line of cool-looking, outdated tools. The documentary Linotype: The Film takes viewers through the machinery's history to its status in the printing world today, where knowing how to operate it is a dying art. See the film at 1 p.m. on Sunday at Phoenix Art Museum. Admission is $5 for non-museum members.
For more things to do, check out our calendar.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Phoenix art and theater scene.