Weekly Freebie: Admission to Museums in Metro Phoenix
Each week, Jackalope Ranch brings you a free event, workshop, or you-name-it happening in Phoenix. Because sometimes the best things in life really are free. This week's freebie: Regular Admission to Valley Museums
When was the last time you visited a local museum? If it involved a sack lunch and your fifth grade class, maybe it's time to pay another visit.
And because culture doesn't have to come at a cost, here is a list of free admission days to museums, both art, history, and otherwise, around Phoenix.
Always Free (Donations Accepted): - Phoenix Airport Museum The Phoenix Airport Museum aims to give travelers a positive connection to Arizona by creating temporary but memorable displays that promotes Arizona art, culture, history and heritage. With exhibitions in all four Airport terminals, the museum is a great cultural detour among express eateries and security checkpoints.
- ASU Art Museum Located at ASU's Tempe campus, or rather under it, the ASU Art Museum showcases curated exhibitions from international and local artists as well as work from its permanent collection. (p.s. Check out the gift shop!)
- ASU Museum of Anthropology Central to the ASU School of Human Evolution and Social Change, the Museum of Anthropology explores anthropological finds, examining the effect and the insight they can provide in helping us navigate through our ever-expanding and evolving world.
- Arizona Capitol Museum The Arizona State Capitol Museum features four floors of exhibits including: Flagship of the Fleet: Life and Death of the USS Arizona, Artwork from the Capitol Museum Collection, and their newest featured exhibit: Oasis - Frank Lloyd Wright's Designs for the Arizona Capitol.
- Phoenix Police Museum The Phoenix Police Museum is housed in the Historic City Hall Building off Jefferson and Second streets. It presents the history of Phoenix law enforcement beginning with the first marshals in 1881 and includes a reproduction of an early 20th century police station.
- Shemer Art Center & Museum Association Shemer Art Center & Museum Association is a nonprofit organization dedicated to increasing artistic appreciation among Phoenix residents by offering classes for kids and adults, as well as seminars and museum exhibits.
Regularly Free: - Children's Museum of Phoenix (every first Friday of the month) The Children's Museum of Phoenix aims to fascinate the young minds of imaginative thinkers, and maybe even bestowing a few things to their adult friends. For obvious safety reasons, adults must be accompanied by children, and vise versa.
- Phoenix Art Museum (every Wednesday and first Friday of the month) The Phoenix Art Museum is easily an all-day affair, what with multiple levels of permanent art collections, changing featured exhibitions, sculpture gardens, films, performances, lectures, and more. Luckily the museum houses a ample café to keep you refueled as you explore.
- Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art (every Thursday) The Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art delivers modern art, architecture and designs from artists; both international and local, individual and collaborative. The museum offers educational programs and special events for children and/or adults, such as the young@art gallery, the Modern Phoenix Home Tour, and evening events in the SMoCA Lounge.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Phoenix, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.