Worldly Goodness at the ASU Art Museum Store
Photo by D'Aundra Wallace
Stepping into the ASU Art Museum Store is like taking that backpacking trip you've promised yourself for years. Shelves are filled with goods from Chile, Peru, Mexico, Southeast Asia, Africa and a variety of other places.
The store, located within the ASU Art Museum in Tempe, is currently hosting a back-to-school sale. Purchase any item from the store through Sept. 11 and receive a 20 percent discount. (An additional 10 percent discount is available to museum members.)
Check out what we'd take, what we'd leave and why we'd go back after the jump...br />
Five things we're taking home
Photos by D'Aundra Wallace
1. Beaded creatures: Handmade from glass beads and wire, these decorations come all the way from South Africa. Choose between a giraffe, spider, scorpion or lizard. You can snatch them up for $17-$26.
2. Magnifying glasses: When did magnifying glasses get cool? Now! The store sells them in small and large sizes for $9 and $19.
3. Christmas ornaments: There is no such thing as having too many ornaments. We want our trees filled with these decorations that sell for less than $20.
4. Little bags: Perfect for trinkets, coins, keys or even cell phones. These handy bags are only $2.50 and come in a variety of colors and patterns.
5. Oaxacan animals: These woodcarvings in vibrant colors have us speechless. Snag them up for $15-$95.
Four things on the wish list:
1. Candlesticks: Gorgeous candlesticks from India that look like they belong in a mansion? Yes, please. Pick them up for $46-$100.
2. Chocó Baskets of the Darién: These beautiful baskets (and mask), made from wild palm trees, will cost $120- $300
3. Chess set: It's from Germany, guys. How cool is that? The price tag says $195, but don't forget about the discount!
4. Masks: To wear? No. To look at? Yes. They'll cost you $17-$64.
We'll pass on these...
As much as we love the way these African instruments look, we can live without playing them.
A Reason to go back...
The store is stocked with items collected from places all around the world, including some pieces from the Museum of Modern Art. And the sale lasts through Sept. 11!
The ASU Art Museum is located at 51 E. 10th Street in Tempe. It's open Tuesday from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Wednesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.. Check out their website for additional parking information.
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Phoenix art and theater scene.