BEST OF PHOENIX® 2006
That the PHX is more like the sticks.
But there are five million strong
To prove you wrong,
And if you don’t believe us, just listen to this:
In our Valley the sun never dies,
And winter, we think that’s a lie.
The cactus grow tall
The rain hardly falls
And though summer sucks, that’s no reason to cry.
(See, the gods made AC, so when it’s 100 degrees,
The cool air will make your blues go bye-bye.)
Now, Adam and Eve had it good
But did they eat Mexican food
Like that at Rosita’s?
Not even Mrs. Rita
Could predict tacos like those that we’ve chewed.
They didn’t need strip clubs in Eden,
But nekkid ladies aplenty, we’ve got ’em.
And our pal the Serpent says,
“Drink hardy, my friends,”
While sipping Camus’ Carson City Martini.
Why not trip the light fantastic with Lucifer?
Rogue’s Shake’ll make the evening a blur.
And DJ Al Page
Rocks The Shop in an age
When true hip-hop is rarer than mink fur.
Goody two-shoes, we got stuff for you, too.
There’s hiking and sports,
Spas and resorts,
And watching monkeyshines at the zoo.
Clean American fun you can find
If you’ve got family ties that bind.
With a budget that’s meager,
You can be a dream weaver,
And discover plenty of spots to unwind.
Our Steve Nash is MVP for a reason,
Plus the Cards have a new home this season.
New arrivals come this way,
Sometimes hundreds a day,
There’s something about Phoenix that reels ’em.
The Zona is the new Promised Land,
Albeit one surrounded by sand.
It’s where the wise reside,
You might fault us our pride,
But whether for nice or for vice,
You don’t have to ask twice,
It’s the reason we call Phoenix “Paradise.”
Find more Best of Phoenix® winners:
- BEST SAINT ON THE FIELDKurt Warner
- BEST SIN BY A VALLEY SPORTS STARRaja Bell
- BEST COOL NEW ATHLETE IN TOWNEric Byrnes
- BEST COLLEGE ATHLETERudy Burgess
- BEST PRO ATHLETEShawn "The Matrix" Marion
- BEST PRO SPORTS TEAMThe Phoenix Suns, of course
- BEST SPAWillow Stream Spa at the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess
- BEST WAY TO PRETEND IT'S RECESSWorld Adult Kickball Association � AZ Fire division
- BEST TAPAS RESTAURANTSol y Sombra
- BEST FRENCH RESTAURANTCitrus Caf�
- BEST NEW SCHOOL CHINESE RESTAURANTFate
- BEST CHINESE RESTAURANTSilver Dragon
- BEST JEWISH DELIKatz's Delicatessen and Restaurant
- BEST UPSCALE STEAK HOUSEDrinkwater's City Hall
- BEST PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLYCullen Campbell's PB&J at Camus
- BEST FRIESTrente-Cinq 35
- BEST NEW RESTAURANTBackstreet Wine Salon
- BEST HIGH TEAThe Phoenician
- BEST RESTAURANT FOR KIDSHouston's
- BEST OLD SCHOOL SODA SHOPMacAlpine's Soda Fountain and Espresso Bar
- BEST PLACE TO SATISFY AN OUTDOORSMAN'S APPETITECabela's
- BEST NOSH AFTER THE SHOWAZ 88
- BEST PLACE TO BELLY UP TO THE BARThe Saloon at Roaring Fork
- BEST PLACE TO TAKE A NEW YORKERPizzeria Bianco
- BEST PLACE TO GET FURNITURE THAT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAULED IT UP FROM MEXICOEl Paso Import Co.
- BEST RUSTIC MEXICAN FURNITURELa Casona/Pepe's Rustics
- BEST REAL GLIMPSE OF THE BORDERBorder Film Project
- BEST MEXICAN IMPORTSBellas Artes de Mexico
- BEST PLACE TO BUY A SUGAR SKULLThe Willow House
- BEST MEXICAN NIGHTCLUBClub Macarena
- BEST LATIN DANCE NIGHTBeat Lab Saturdays at Club Dwntwn
- BEST LATIN DJDJ Big Latin
- BEST BIKING BAR TOURTour de Bar
- BEST CURE FOR THE MONDAY BLUESAmsterdam's Martinis & Manicures
- BEST EXPERIMENTAL MUSIC FESTIVALPhoenix Creative Music Movement Winter Festival
- BEST POLKA FACESHaunted Cologne
- BEST PLACE TO GO "BEAR" HUNTINGPadlock
- BEST LEGAL SPEAKEASYThe Door
- BEST KARAOKE FOR PEOPLE WHO HATE KARAOKEJoanne the Karaoke Singer
- BEST HOUSE DJSenbad
- BEST HIP-HOP NIGHTThe Blunt Club
- BEST SPORTS BAR, TEMPESix Shooters Sports Bar and Grill
- BEST SPORTS BAR, SOUTHEAST VALLEYCrabby Don's Bar & Restaurant
- BEST SPORTS BAR, CENTRAL PHOENIXStoudemire's Downtown
- BEST STRIP CLUBThe Pin-Up Girl Lounge
- BEST DANCE FLOORBuzz Funbar
- BEST IRISH PUBR�la B�la
- BEST NEIGHBORHOOD BAR, SCOTTSDALEThe Longshot Bar & Grill
- BEST VINTAGE CAR PARTS SHOPSo-Cal Speed Shop
- BEST SCRAPBOOK SUPPLIESMystic Paper at The Peddler's Wife
- BEST RUBBER STAMPSPhoenix Rubber Stamp Company
- BEST BASIC PAPER STOREXpedx Paper and Graphics Store
- BEST FINDINGSS II Findings
- BEST HIPSTER KNIT HANGOUTJessica Knits
- BEST CURE FOR IKEA FATIGUEThe "As Is" Room at IKEA
- BEST ESTATE SALESJanet's Estate Sales
- BEST PLACE TO BUY POINTE SHOESBarry's Capezio
- BEST FUNKY FLIP-FLOPSGo Kat Go
- BEST STORE WITH A RESIDENT TAILORSunset Clothing Xchange
- BEST PLACE TO BUY KIDS' USED CLOTHES, EAST SIDEOnce Upon a Child
- BEST PLACE TO BUY KIDS' USED CLOTHES, WEST SIDEOther Mothers
- BEST SIGNATURE CLOTHING LINE FOR KIDSThis Little Piggy Wears Cotton
- BEST PLACE TO BUY KIDS' CLOTHESPetite Ch�teau
- BEST PLACE TO BUY A BABY GIFTCrismon's Baby Boutique
Restaurants Best New Restaurant: Pink Taco Best Mexican Restaurant: Bitz-ee Mama’s Restaurant Best Upscale Italian Restaurant: Tomaso’s Best Neighborhood Italian: Times Square Pizzeria Best Thai Restaurant: Malee’s Thai Bistro Best Indian Restaurant: Taste of India Best Japanese Restaurant: RA Sushi Bar Restaurant Best Chinese Restaurant: Fate Best Vietnamese Restaurant: Cyclo...more
- Bernie or Hillary? Here's Which Arizona Leaders Are Endorsing Each Candidate
- The 10 Things Joe Arpaio Might Say to Pope Francis in Mexico
- 7 Metro Phoenix Chefs Share Their Valentine's Day Horror Stories
- Here's the Coolest Art We Saw in Phoenix and Scottsdale on February's First Friday
- How 20 Metro Phoenix Cities Got Their Names
- 5 Best Restaurants in Downtown Phoenix Right Now
- 10 Best Arcades in Metro Phoenix
- The 10 Best Places to Hear Free Live Music in Phoenix
- 13 Art Shows to See in Metro Phoenix During Spring 2016
- 15 Free Art Shows to See During February First Friday in Metro Phoenix
- The Best Comedy Shows in Metro Phoenix During Spring 2016
- 10 Events Not to Miss During 2016 Arizona Beer Week: February 11-21
- 11 Rock Stars Who Allegedly Slept With Underage Girls
- The Best Things to Do Outdoors in Metro Phoenix This February