Joe Arpaio, Suck It Up: Top Ten Reasons to Vote for Paul Penzone
Will we have Joe Arpaio to kick around a la Dick Nixon after today?
As far as I'm concerned, the only race that matters in this election is the race for Maricopa County sheriff.
Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for Rich Carmona to top Congressman Jeff Flake in the run for U.S. Senate, and I'm praying (best as an atheist can) that President Obama beats back Mitt Romney's vigorous, used car-salesman-like challenge.
But if all goes well in those races, and we're left with Arpaio for four more, those wins will be bittersweet.
Democrat Paul Penzone is the best chance we've had in years to be rid of Sheriff Joe -- and permanently exile his sorry self to Fountain Hills, where he can spend the remainder of his existence going through Ava's list of honey-dos and thinking wistfully of fired former MCSO Captain Joel Fox, axed Deputy Chief Larry Black and the love that dare not speak its name.
Hope for the best, anticipate the worst. That's my motto in this election. And if Arpaio survives this contest, well, I reckon I'll have job security for four more years.
But I'd much rather see this public menace defeated so I could ride off into the sunset, Randolph Scott-style, and tell the world, "My job here is done."
10) Penzone is far less likely to croak in office. (Which also could be a reason to vote for Joe, comprendes?)
09) Penzone doesn't automatically tick off one-third of the local population; i.e., the brown folk.
08) Penzone can still remember what day of the week it is.
07) The MCSO will finally start chasin' crooks instead of (undocumented) cooks.
06) Child molesters, rapists and murderers will learn to fear a sheriff's badge.
05) The bleeding will stop: In the jails and from the county's coffers.
03) It'll be one less reason to be ashamed of where you live.
02) Joe-flunkies, Lisa Allen, Paul Chagolla, Jack MacIntyre, Brian Sands and Your Product Sucks (MCSO's official online troll), will all get pink slips.
And the number one reason to vote for Paul Penzone for sheriff...
The Wells Fargo Building's 19th Floor will no longer reek of Aqua Velva and old-man funk.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Phoenix New Times' biggest stories.