Russell Pearce's E-Mails To Me on the Subject of J.T. Ready

Russ to moi: "Enough is enough with your hatred of me and my Christian beliefs." Christian? You sure don't act like it, bub.

As I promised in this week's Bird column concerning state Senate President-elect Russell Pearce's involvement with neo-Nazi J.T. Ready's spiritual life as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, here's the e-mail exchange between Pearce and me.

To be honest, I'm surprised he replied, as he always tries to dodge me when I see him at public events, and has not returned my calls in the past. So I give him credit for getting back to me this time around.

As you can see below, Pearce is a slippery character. In the first reply, he knew what I was e-mailing him about. I had already left phone messages at his home and his office, and was following up with an e-mail to his Web site. That's how the back and forth began.

I abridged the headers to make for easier reading, but the content of the e-mails has not been altered in any way.

BTW, I have no idea what Pearce is talking about when he mentions his "Christian beliefs." That is of no concern to me. Nor does it have anything to do with the matter at hand, which is the nature of his relationship with Ready and his statements past.

From: stephen.lemons@newtimes.com
To: SenatorPearce@russellpearce.com; electrussellpearce@gmail.com
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 2:44 PM

Please contact me so I may get your response to new info about your relationship with JT Ready. Thanks.

From: russellpearce@cox.net
To: stephen.lemons@newtimes.com
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 3:05 PM

Just the facts Ma'am. Steve the truth for a change would be nice. I had nothing to do with Mr. Ready's baptism, I was invited to attend and I did. I can guarantee if they knew later he would be involved with hate groups that baptism would have never taken place. No one could have known or guessed he would later become involved with radical hate groups.There is no room for Hate in this debate.  It is simply about the rule of law. Our laws must be enforced with compassion but without apology and the legal, lawful citizens of this state have a right to the protection of our laws. I have gone on record as to my position and that fact I do not now or have I ever supported such activity and am very disappointed at those who are involved in such hate or raced based organizations.

He was a Precinct Committeeman and everyone thought he was a straight shooter and a Patriot. I like many was very disappointed in his later actions (by the way that I did not know about until after you wrote your story exposing him).

Enough is enough with your hatred of me and my Christian beliefs. I have never been associated with any hate groups. The most radical group/association I have ever belonged to is the Boy Scouts of America and the Fraternal Order of Police.

In my 63 years I never been accused of any improper associations or any kind, until you have attempted to defame me and write things that you know are not true and have never been true.

From: stephen.lemons@newtimes.com
To: russellpearce@cox.net
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 3:13 PM

Thanks for the reply, Senator. Did you also ordain JT into the Melchizedek
priesthood?

Stephen Lemons
Phoenix New Times
602-229-8426

From: russellpearce@cox.net
To: stephen.lemons@newtimes.com
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 3:23 PM

I do not remember, but I don't think so.

From: stephen.lemons@newtimes.com
To: russellpearce@cox.net
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 3:26 PM

Mike Cooley says that you did. I have documentation that indicates this as
well.

If you want to discuss this over the phone, I can promise that I will be
civil.

Stephen Lemons
Phoenix New Times
602-229-8426

From: russellpearce@cox.net
To: stephen.lemons@newtimes.com
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 4:03 PM

That could be true, but it was by invitation at the last minute, as I showed only as a guest.  Never involved in the missionary lessons, never knew about it until the last minute.

From: stephen.lemons@newtimes.com
To: russellpearce@cox.net
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 4:09 PM

Thanks again for your reply, Senator.

We're talking about the ordination, not the baptism. You mean you were
invited at the last minute to the ordination?

Why would you be listed as the person ordaining JT into the priesthood?

Stephen Lemons
Phoenix New Times
602-229-8426

From: russellpearce@cox.net
To: stephen.lemons@newtimes.com
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 4:36 PM

There at the same time and I must have been asked to do it while there. I was not asked ahead of time, I am sure.

That was the last transmission from the bunker. I also asked Pearce if Ready had ever vacationed with Pearce's family, but he did not respond to that one.

Sponsor Content

Newsletters

All-access pass to top stories, events and offers around town.

No Thanks!