They Got Rhythm
Phoenix is a hotbed for jazz and jazzy-type players. Yes, really. Heres proof:
• Juini Booth, NYC-based Sun Ra Arkestra bassist and temporary snowbird to our fair climate, plays here every spring.
• Papa John DeFrancesco, the father of legendary jazz organist Joey, has a gig each Sunday at Bobby Cs Restaurant.
• Mike Howard, a guitarist who appears on Donny Hathaways legendary Live soul-music epic, quietly plays around town here and there.
• The Phoenix Creative Music Movement, a homegrown organization, hosts various avant-garde and straight-ahead shows.
• The music programs at Arizona State University and Mesa Community College, which have professional players like Bryon Ruth (ASU) and Fred Forney (MCC) on staff, consistently crank out fresh talent.
Then theres the new guard of righteous players, many who will perform during the Phoenix Jazz Workshop gig. The lineup features some heavy hitters of the current scene, including woodwind wizard Ruth, dynamic saxophonist Scott Zimmer, sultry pianist Rachel Eckroth, kickass percussionist Rob Moore, and seasoned bassist Ted Sistrunk.
Mon., Dec. 17, 5:30-8 p.m., 2007
Get the Things to Do Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly guide to events in Phoenix, and never be bored again. With suggestions for every day of the week, our recommendations will keep you busy on any budget.
More Calendar News
- Pinhead Number One
Sat., Oct. 10, 12:00am
Sat., Oct. 10, 1:00pm
Sat., Oct. 10, 6:30pm
Sat., Oct. 10, 7:00pm
- How not to Make Love to a Woman
- Sweet Charity