Event Name- OR - Select an option below
In 1889 Arizona's state capitol moved permanently to Phoenix after hopping from city to city over a period of years. The original Arizona State Capitol Building in 1900, dedicated on February 25, 1901 and was designated a museum in 1977. The building served as the actual state capitol when Arizona became the 48th state in 1912 and the governor's office was located in the building until the mid 1970s. The building now houses the Arizona Capitol Museum and the Governor's Office, other departments and the Senate and House of Representatives are in nearby buildings. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic places. The collections in the museum are part of the Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records and the collections include “Curtis the Collector: Native American Baskets, Pottery and Miscellany,” “David Swing Painting Collection,” “Images from the Edward Curtis Collection at the Arizona Capitol Museum,” and the “USS Arizona Silver Service Collection.”
Connecting people to Arizona Government-Past and Present.