5 Reasons to Vote for Fayuca's "Por Que Seguir" in MTVu's The Freshmen
Fayuca: Bringing back luchador masks, one music video at a time
You'd never know Fayuca's video for "Por Que Seguir" wasn't produced on a big-budget national scale. The local Latin rock band's clip, featuring dozens of extras and a perfectly rendered digital urban factory setting, is so impressive, it's currently competing for a spot for heavy rotation on MTVu, in its contest for the video program The Freshmen.
The show features five brand-spanking-new artists each week -- learn more about it here. You can vote as many times as you'd like for the video up until 2 p.m. EST Friday, August 9. (Hint, hint.) "We urge everyone to vote and get Fayuca on MTV's regular rotation so that it reaches the brainwashed and forces our youth to think," Fayuca singer/guitarist Gabriel Solorzano says. Vote here, and keep reading for five reasons you should click for Fayuca.
1. It inspires viewers to stand up to the man. The premise of the video is people uniting against an evil tyrant, joining together while Fayuca plays the revolution song.
One of Solorzano's favorite parts of the stylishly slick video is its message to think for yourself. "'Por Que Seguir' is the everyday, blue collar worker's anthem," Solorzano says. "The video and lyrics are compelling, as it challenges us to question progress and who is really pulling the strings. This is one of those songs written with passion and a purpose."
2. This is a way to get an Arizona band recognized nationally. It's always awesome to see local bands get national recognition, and if Fayuca wins this contest, their video will be played all over the MTVu channel. Since many artists who are featured on MTVu -- think fun. or Kendrick Lamar -- eventually blow up on the main channel and beyond, this could be a really big step for Fayuca's career.
3. Luchador masks are awesome. And this video has a ton of them.
During the live performance in the video the band wears the masks, along with Captain Squeegee's Danny Torgersen, better known as "El Danniblo." Torgersen arranged all the horns on Barrio Sideshow.
4. Speaking of horns -- any hard rock song with trumpets in it is awesome. The trumpet really gives "Por Que Seguir" an extra-spicy feel, as it's a really peppy instrument that adds a Latin flair. It's always cool when rock bands add melodic layers to their music, and this is a great example of that.
5. You're supporting a legit video and music production scene here in the Valley There are really some amazingly produced videos to come out of Phoenix, and a vote from you helps put the local production scene on the map. This clip was produced by local business visual.concept.media, and if you're impressed by this video, check out some by fellow locals such as Miss Krystle, Jonathan Sakas, and A Life of Science. With this much great local talent, MTV should dedicate its own show to Arizona music next.
Why are you voting for "Por Que Seguir" (here)? Share in the comments.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.
More Music News
- Cave Creek's Legendary Buffalo Chip Saloon Destroyed by "Suspicious" Fire
Fri., Dec. 4, 7:30pm
Fri., Dec. 4, 8:00pm
Sat., Dec. 5, 8:00pm
Sun., Dec. 6, 3:00pm
- 16 Places to Drink on Thanksgiving in Phoenix
- Heritage Hump Day: Otto D - "Why Should I Care"