Andrew Bird, Franz Ferdinand, Bon Iver, and Courtney Marie Andrews are Just Some of What's Selling at Stinkweeds Record Exchange
The phenomenally talented Andrew Bird.
It sucks pretty hard that Tucson gets all the cool shows these days.
Like Andrew Bird, who's making a stop in the Old Pueblo this Saturday to gig at the Rialto, but won't make a stop in Phoenix. This truly blows, since we've been digging on the talented singer/songwriter since we first saw him perform "Plasticities" on Letterman last year. Since our hectic schedule doesn't permit a five-hour round trip down to Southern Arizona, we'll have to console ourselves by listening to Noble Beast, the artist's newest release on Fat Possum Records, which we bought during a recent trip to Stinkweeds Record Exchange, 12 West Camelback Road. The album's got 14 tracks of quality musicianship, embodying Bird's multi-instrumental brand of folky baroque pop.
And while we were at Kimber Lanning's indie record business, we also snatched up a copy of Courtney Marie Andrews' Urban Myths, which features a lot of the same kind of acoustic indie chick pop that the cutie-as-a-button songstress has been performing at local venues like Modified Arts as of late.
Noble Beast and Urban Myths are just two of the 10 discs on Stinkweeds' top 10 best sellers for the week of February 3-9. Read on for the remaining eight titles on the list, including the latest from such indie delights as Bon Iver and Crooked Fingers.
1. Andrew Bird, Noble Beast (Fat Possum)
2. Animal Collective, Merriweather Post Pavilion (Domino)
3. Franz Ferdinand, Tonight (Sony)
4. Antony and the Johnsons, Secretly Canadian (The Crying Light)
5. Bon Iver, Blood Bank (Jagjaguwar)
6. Bruce Springsteen, Working on a Dream (Columbia)
7. Fleet Foxes, Self-titled (Sub Pop)
8. Crooked Fingers, Forfeit/Fortune (Constant Artists)
9. Heartless Bastards, The Mountain (Fat Possum)
10. Courtney Marie Andrews, Urban Myths (River Jones Music)
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.