Animal Collective, John Frusciante, Atmosphere, and Lady GaGa are Just Some of What's Selling at Zia Record Exchange
The animals of B'More foursome Animal Collective.
Do y'all smell that?
No, it's not the repulsive scent of the titanic dump those Pittsburgh Steelers bastards dropped on the PHX's collective hopes and dreams for Super Bowl championship. I'm talking about something much, much better: The glorious smell of freshly released albums.
The post-Christmastime drought of new discs ended within the past few weeks, resulting in a flood of releases flowing into record stores and your iTunes library. In fact, a majority of the top 10 best selling titles at Zia Record Exchange, 105 West University Drive in Tempe, for the week of January 28-February 2 made their debut in 2009. That includes Merriweather Post Pavilion, the latest effort from freak folk/indie/experimental/ psych-pop foursome Animal Collective. I've been listening to its songs off and on over the past couple weeks and can honestly say it's my personal fave of 2009 (But maybe that's just because I dig whacked-up experimental jams).
The rest of the list, which includes a fresh solo album from Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante, follows the break.
Currently No. 34 on Amazon's sales list, but No. 1 in our hearts.
1. Animal Collective, Merriweather Post Pavilion (Domino)
2. Bruce Springsteen, Working on a Dream (Columbia)
3. Franz Ferdinand, Tonight (Sony)
4. Fleet Foxes, Self-titled (Sub Pop)
5. Atmosphere, God Loves Ugly (Fatbeats)
6. MGMT, Oracular Spectacular (Sony)
7. John Frusciante, The Empyrean (Record Collection)
8. Andrew Bird, Noble Beast (Fat Possum)
9. City and Colour, Bring Me Your Love (Dine Alone)
10. Lady GaGa, The Fame (Def Jam)
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.
More Music News
- Rising Sun Daughter's Grace Rolland Had to Leave the Desert to Appreciate It
Fri., Dec. 4, 7:30pm
Fri., Dec. 4, 8:00pm
Sat., Dec. 5, 8:00pm
Sun., Dec. 6, 3:00pm
- Phoenix Singer-Songwriter Cait Brennan Thrives in the Face of Adversity
- The 50 Most Memorable People of Global Dance Festival Arizona 2015