Pop for Peace
Becky Stark, frontwoman for psych-pop/indie-folk foursome Lavender Diamond, is on a mission for peace. "All of our concerts we open by saying something like, 'Congratulations, everyone, for peace coming to planet Earth . . . let's hear it for peace on Earth,' and everyone always wants to applaud," she says over the phone from her home in Los Angeles.
Sure, you can talk about the quartet's music: The gorgeous songs found on their newly released full-length debut, Imagine Our Love Summer of Love tunes replete with bright strings, school-recital piano, and acoustic strums; or Stark's lovely, honeyed lilt and romantic, life-affirming lyrics that, when draped atop that instrumentation, all come together kinda like Carole King fronting Mazzy Star during a gig at an organic farmers market.
Sweet, friendly, and quite charming, Stark insists she conceived Lavender Diamond in order to "create a dialogue whereby people can discover peace and community," and redirects most every question about her band's music into lengthy musings on peace and the power of the individual perhaps not all that surprising for someone who read Mahatma Gandhi's autobiography and joined the League of Women Voters at the tender age of 7. So, with that in mind . . . it's happy fun quiz time!
Phoenix Art Museum
Lavender Diamond is scheduled to perform on Friday, July 6.
To whom can each of the following quotes about peace be attributed? (Answers at bottom.)
1. "We have all the tools we need to create peace, if we'll only give it a try and not be afraid to fail or look stupid."
A. Paul McCartney
B. Becky Stark
C. Maya Angelou
2. "Peace sells, but who's buying?"
A. Becky Stark
B. Bill Gates
C. Dave Mustaine
D. Paris Hilton
3. "Everything changes and evolves. There didn't used to be humans, there didn't used to be sky, there didn't used to be birds, there didn't used to be water, there didn't used to be language. Those things happened, and so will peace."
A. Jimmy Carter
B. The Dalai Lama
C. Becky Stark
D. Pat Robertson
4. "If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace."
A. Becky Stark
B. George Carlin
C. John F. Kennedy
D. John Lennon
5. "Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal."
A. Benjamin Franklin
B. Martin Luther King Jr.
C. Carson Daly
D. Becky Stark
6. "Now is the time to have a new evolution in our consciousness and realize that we're all empowered to build whatever kind of future world that we want. We can have a peaceful world, we can have a beautiful world, we can have a liberated world that's just the reality, and that's way more interesting and exciting than just laying down and saying that the world's about money or some weirdos who are in power."
A. Becky Stark
B. George W. Bush
C. Kobe Bryant
D. Rosie O'Donnell
Answers: 1-B, 2-C, 3-C, 4-D, 5-B, 6-A
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.