Wesley Willis, Antony and the Johnsons, Bloc Party, and Ween Are Just Some Of What's Selling At Revolver Records
The Daddy of Rock 'N' Roll (1963-2003)
The late Wesley Shabazz Willis was one of the coolest mofos in music.
The schizophrenic African-American musician (who refered to his psychotic episodes as "hellrides") sung howling songs set to keyboard music usually about such disparate subjects as McDonalds, Alanis Morrisette, and Spider-Man. If you were fortunate enough to meet him in person, the dude would likely give you a headbutt.
Willis developed a huge cult following with his outsider music and wild performances (particularly amongst the indie/alt-culture crowd) which seems to have gotten even bigger after his untimely death in 2003. So it's no surprise that his recently-released Greatest Hits album is the top seller at local indie music store Revolver Records, 4214 North 7th Avenue.
What else got bought at the shop during the week of December 1-7? Here's the rest of the list:
1. Wesley Willis, Greatest Hits (Alternative Tentacles)
2. Atmosphere, Sad Clown Bad Summer Number 9 (Rhymesayers)
3. Antony and the Johnsons, Another World (Secretly Canadian)
4. Hrsta, Ghosts Will Come and Kiss Our Eyes (Constellation)
5. Ween, Chocolate and Cheese* (Schnitzel)
6. Mudcrutch, Extended Play Live (Reprise)
7. Ryan Adams, Cardinology (Lost Highway)
8. Metallica, self-titled* (Warner Bros.)
9. Bloc Party, Intimacy (Vice)
10. Fresh Maggots, Hatch* (Sunbeam)
If you're an owner of a local independent music store and would like to have your best sellers posted on Up On The Sun, send me an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. -- Benjamin Leatherman
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.
More Music News
- 9 Best Concerts in Phoenix This Weekend
Fri., Dec. 4, 8:00pm
Sat., Dec. 5, 8:00pm
Sun., Dec. 6, 3:00pm
Sun., Dec. 6, 7:30pm
- Cave Creek's Legendary Buffalo Chip Saloon Destroyed by "Suspicious" Fire
- 16 Places to Drink on Thanksgiving in Phoenix