A Visual Guide to Jared Loughner's Attempted Assassination of Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords
Click on the icons above to reveal more infomation about Loughner's home, schools and key locations in the case. And click here to view the city and places in a larger map.
Twenty-two-year-old Jared Loughner grew up in Tucson. He went (and dropped out of) high school there, and attended (and was thrown out of) community college just miles from where he lived with his parents.
In November, Loughner also bought a Glock 9-millimeter with an extended magazine before shooting Democratic U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords in the head at his local Safeway on Saturday. Loughner's now being held at the United States Penitentiary in Tucson.
See below for explanations of his stops along the way to mass murder.
On the map:
- Loughner's Home (7741 N. Soledad Ave.) where he grew up and continued to live with his parents through school.
- Mountain View High School where Loughner dropped out during his senior year.
- Pima Community College threw Loughner out of their program, saying he was mentally disturbed and needed treatment before returning.
- Sportsman's Warehouse sold Loughner the Glock 9-millimeter he used in Saturday's shooting.
- Tucson Safeway where Loughner shot Gabrielle Giffords.
- University Medical Center is currently treating Giffords. She's scheduled to have brain surgery today.
United States Penitentiary where Loughner's been held.
The Face of Crazy: Jared Loughner Eerily Smirks in Photo Taken After Shooting Rampage
Gabrielle Giffords Shooting Wasn't First Arizona Rampage
Westboro Bapstis Church to Protest Funeral of 9-Year-Old Girl Murdered in Tucson Rampage Shooting. Hells Angels to the Rescue?
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.