Serial Street Shooter Suspect Will Be in Court July 6 Facing Eight More Murder Charges

Serial Street Shooter Suspect Will Be in Court July 6 Facing Eight More Murder Charges (2)
New Times photo illustration/Tom Carlson

Aaron Juan Saucedo, the accused Serial Street Shooter, will be in court July 6 to face a score of new charges, with his bond set at $8 million.

A Maricopa County grand jury handed up a 20-count indictment of the 23-year-old laborer and former city bus driver on June 27. The new charges, unveiled Friday, add to the existing court charge of murdering his mother’s boyfriend.

Saucedo is now accused of nine killings in a dozen shootings between August 2015 and July 2016.

Specifically, prosecutors added to the existing count of first-degree murder: eight more counts of first-degree murder, two counts of attempted murder, six counts of drive-by-shooting, two counts of aggravated assault, one count of discharging a firearm and one count of endangerment.

All are felony charges.

Phoenix police identified Saucedo as the suspected Serial Street Shooter at a high-profile press conference on May 8. He had been in jail after police arrested him on April 19 on suspicion of shooting dead his mother's boyfriend, Raul Romero.

He entered a not-guilty plea, blurting out during his arraignment “I’m innocent.”

Juan Martinez is listed as the prosecutor.

If guilty of all nine murders, Saucedo would equal the worst killing spree by an individual in city history. That record was set by Mark Goudeau, when he was convicted of nine slayings after his arrest in 2006 as the Baseline Killer.

The new indictment did not disclose any significant new details about the dozen shootings which police blame on Saucedo. Nor did the grand jury find reason to charge Saucedo with any new crimes.

At the time of his arrest, Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery hinted that more charges might be possible, given the scope of the investigation and that police made the connection to the Romero shooting just weeks earlier.

Montgomery said his team typically takes a month to review cases. Prosecutors waited nearly two months to charge Saucedo in the string of shootings that earned the suspect the moniker of the Maryvale Shooter, because so many victims were gunned down there.

After the Romero shooting, Saucedo is accused of killing four young Hispanic men within a two-mile radius in the Maryvale neighborhood in 2016. Police also link him to the slaying, all by gunshot, of four African-American women and girls in the same neighborhood and near Sky Harbor airport.

For now the case hinges on ballistic evidence. Police said in court documents that they traced three guns to Saucedo and bullets recovered from the crime scenes could only have come from those guns.

Court records indicate the detectives recovered 14 shell casings that match the ballistics from cars driven by Saucedo and generally matching the vehicles witnesses described after the attacks.

Follow Phoenix New Times for more details.


Sponsor Content

Newsletters

All-access pass to the top stories, events and offers around town.

  • Top Stories
    Send:

Newsletters

All-access pass to top stories, events and offers around town.

Sign Up >

No Thanks!

Remind Me Later >