Arizona Woman Stored Superglue Next to Eye Drops. Guess What Happened Next
My Fox Phoenix aired a story last night that needs some attention.
If you've never asked the question "why do they put superglue and eye drops in nearly identical bottles?" you should have -- it's stupid, and can have painful results if a mix up happens.
People who use eye drops often have vision problems, so it makes precisely no sense to put the liquid in bottles that could easily be mistaken for something that's gonna glue your eyes shut.
Irmgard Holm made that mistake and did exactly that.
Check out the My Fox Phoenix segment after the jump.
After gluing her left eye shut, Holm went to a hospital where doctors were able to wash out the glue before any damage was done.
Apparently the mix up happens a lot. Fox claims to have found "many cases of superglue ocular injuries, dating back all the way to 1982."
Holm will be interviewed later this week by the Food and Drug Administration. She hopes her mistake will pressure eye drop companies to change the design of their bottles.
We sympathize with Holm -- super gluing an eye sounds about as fun as being waterboarded. But as stupid as companies that make eye drops may be for putting their product in bottles that look a lot like super glue, storing your superglue and your eye drops anywhere near each other probably isn't the best move.
Let's just hope Holm doesn't store her aspirin next to her rat poison.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Phoenix New Times' biggest stories.
- Metro Phoenix Labor Day Weekend DUI Checkpoints
Sat., Sep. 12, 6:00pm
Sat., Sep. 12, 8:00pm
Sun., Sep. 13, 1:05pm
Mon., Sep. 14, 6:40pm
- Southwest Cannabis Conference Coming to Phoenix Next Month
- Mentally Ill Teen Who Killed Middle-Age Lover Takes Second-Degree Murder Plea Deal