Chandler Police Bust Man FBI Says is Responsible for Robbing Six Banks
Jorge Gutierrez likes to spend a lot of time at Desert Schools Federal Union. The locations are convenient, and he likes the easy-to-work-with employees.
Most of all, he likes the money.
The FBI alleges Gutierrez robbed the credit union in the Ahwatukee/Chandler area five times, including twice at two locations. Just for grins, apparently, he also hit up a Bank of America in the area.
Here's the complete list from the G-Men:
- 10/30/08, Desert Schools Federal Credit Union, 1380 West Elliot Drive, Tempe.
- 12/13/08, Desert Schools Federal Credit Union, 1380 West Elliot Drive, Tempe.
- 01/12/09, Desert Schools Federal Credit Union, 4940 East Ray Road, Phoenix.
- 02/20/09, Bank of America, 5065 East Elliot Drive, Phoenix.
- 02/24/09, Desert Schools Federal Credit Union, 4940 East Ray Road, Phoenix.
- 03/24/09, Desert Schools Federal Credit Union, 1175 South Arizona Avenue, Chandler
On Tuesday, Gutierrez went to the credit union location at 1175 South Arizona Avenue, which he hadn't yet visited professionally, and robbed the place, says the FBI. Soon after, Chandler police who had heard the robbery call spotted the man on foot and arrested him.
The East Valley city cops took him downtown and showed him a few bank surveillance photographs. Gutierrez admitted he was the guy in the pictures, authorities say. He was booked into the Maricopa County Jail for possession of dangerous drugs, and the feds later filed a criminal complaint against him.
He should have worn a disguise, obviously -- good bet he was desperate for drug money.
Definitely not the careful financial planner of the other bank robber we blogged about earlier this week.
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.