Chipotle Burrito Contained Piece of Metal, Which Was Swallowed, Lawsuit Claims

Chipotle Burrito Contained Piece of Metal, Which Was Swallowed, Lawsuit Claims
Aranami via Flickr

A Phoenix-area resident claims he swallowed a piece of metal that was inside a burrito he purchased at a Chipotle Mexican Grill restaurant.

According to the lawsuit filed on behalf of Tyler Maiden, that piece of metal got stuck in his esophagus, and he "suffered serious, significant, and permanent injuries which required surgical intervention."

The lawsuit contends that the metallic burrito was made at the Chipotle at 21172 South Ellsworth Loop in Queen Creek, on January 5, 2012.

Maiden's attorneys at Phoenix's Breyer Law Office did not immediately return New Times' request for more information about this alleged piece of metal.

The lawsuit -- which was initially filed in Maricopa County court, but has since been removed to federal court -- simply contends that the metal was in the food, which Maiden swallowed, through no fault of his own.

The lawsuit alleges Maiden has suffered, and will continue to suffer, "pain, emotional stress, and anxiety."

Maiden's seeking damages on several accounts, including his medical expenses to date, his future medical expenses, other out-of-pocket expenses, and more.

Chipotle spokesman Chris Arnold says the company doesn't discuss pending legal action.

See a copy of the original complaint below:


Send feedback and tips to the author.
Follow Matthew Hendley on Twitter at @MatthewHendley.

Sponsor Content

Newsletters

All-access pass to the top stories, events and offers around town.

  • Top Stories
    Send:

Newsletters

All-access pass to top stories, events and offers around town.

Sign Up >

No Thanks!

Remind Me Later >