The city of Glendale, in an attempt to rally support for the possibly fleeing Phoenix Coyotes, is kicking off "White Out Week" on Wednesday.
City officials are planning to "whitewash" the city leading up to the Coyotes home opener Saturday against the Columbus Blue Jackets at Jobing.com Arena.
Good timing in terms of beginning to support the team. Last week, a bankruptcy judge shot down a $243 million deal to move the team to Canada, where people might actually go watch them play.
Well, they're still here and considering that Glendale has no idea what to do with their stadium if the team does leave, city officials seem to be making a concerted effort to keep the Yotes.
Here's the list of activities and incentives from officials that they hope will entice people to go to Saturday's game:
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- Fans showing their support by wearing Coyotes apparel Oct. 7 and 8 will receive special shopping discounts at select shops in downtown Glendale. Shoppers can stop by the Glendale Visitor Center to pick up a map and list of participating merchants.
- Arrowhead Towne Center have staff circulating the mall to spot fans wearing Coyotes gear, and will hand out Westcor gift certificates and free Coyotes merchandise as part of the "Random Acts of Kindness" promotion. This will take place all day Oct. 7 from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- [Mascot] Howler will make a special appearance at the Glendale Main Library, 5959 W. Brown St., to read with kids during story time at 10:30 a.m. Oct. 8.
- On Oct. 9, Coyotes fever ramps up with "White Out" Day throughout the city. City staff will be wearing white or Coyotes gear to show support for the Coyotes, and schools and businesses are encouraged to do so, as well. Anyone interested in organizing a "White Out" at their workplace is encouraged to call Kim Larson at 602-689-3827 for possible media opportunities.
- Landmark Middle School will have a Coyotes pep rally at 11 a.m. Oct. 9, which will include a visit from Howler, Coyotes Pack dancers, and giveaways for students.
As thrilling as "White Out Week" sounds, here's a suggestion that might actually attract fans:
How about a winning season for a change.