GoRenter Gets Cease and Desist Notice on Alleged Illegal Ads
Mark Bosworth, GoRenter founder
By Ray Stern
The rental company founded by fallen (self-described) real estate "guru" Mark Bosworth, (whose story was told in the May 13 edition of New Times), has been ordered to stop ads the state real estate commissioner says are illegal.
A statement issued today by Commissioner Sam Wercinski says his office found evidence that GoRenter.com and its broker, Dan Manley, "engaged in an illegal advertisement and promotional plan which included an unlawful lottery that constitutes a violation of Arizona real estate law.
"Issuing this Cease and Desist order was necessary to proactively protect consumers and prevent fraud," Wercinski says in the release.
The order appears to be related to an ad campaign the company kicked off last week that enters the names of renters and homeowners into contests. Here's an excerpt from the company's October 16 press release:
From October 1 through December 29, 2008, every newly approved GoRental (TM) Tenant Lease Agreement will automatically enter the Tenant into a drawing for one of five $1,000 Home Shopping Sprees. Existing tenants as of October 1, who are current with their monthly rent payments, also will be entered into the tenant drawing. And, over the same time period, every newly approved GoRenter.com(R) LLC Property Management Agreement enters the home property owner into a drawing for one of two $5,000 home makeovers, newly approved home property owners only.
Meanwhile, investigations of Bosworth's activities by Wercinski's office and the Arizona Corporation Commission are ongoing.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Phoenix, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.