How to Avoid a Weinergate; Some Suggestions From the Mayor of Twitter-Town/Former AG Grant Woods
As "Weinergate 2011" enters day 11, there are now bipartisan calls for New York Congressman Anthony Weiner to resign. Given the congressman's current conundrum, former Arizona Attorney General/New Times-declared "Mayor of Twitter-Town" Grant Woods has some suggestions for other politicos who want to avoid a similar fate.
Weiner came clean about his wayward wiener on Monday, announcing that he'd had at least six inappropriate cyber-relationships with several women. He also copped to sending a picture of his junk to a 21-year-old college student from Washington state, despite having lied about it, claiming his Twitter account had been hacked.
Weiner's unfortunately phallic last name has only added to the entire spectacle.
Woods' hilarious "tweets" regarding fatsos, former TV pitchman J.D. Hayworth, vampires, and cream cheese, earned him the coveted Phoenix New Times "Best Twitterer" award last year, so we turned to him for some social media suggestions for other politicos who may be compelled to send pictures of their packages over the interwebs.
The former attorney general (who hasn't necessarily ruled out a run for the Senate seat being vacated by Senator Jon Kyl) offers the following advice:
1. Don't text a photo of something closely associated with your last name (note to the great- granddaughters of Immanuel Kant).
2. If you can't pick the right button to send a crotch shot to your sextmate rather than the whole world, you can never be President. Sorry all of North Africa, I meant to push the button for Tripoli only. But I am really sorry.
3. When you screw up, admit it. This wasn't that big of a deal, so to speak, until you went with the hackneyed response. We could have forgiven-and actually been grateful for an excuse to crank out all of the junior high "Weiner" jokes. But now, sadly, you just look like kind of a dick.
Yesterday, Woods "tweeted" a "PRIVATE" photo of his own -- which is why he is again the front-runner for this year's "Best Twitterer" honors. Check out Woods' "PRIVATE" photo here.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Phoenix New Times' biggest stories.
- Bernie Sanders Gets More Endorsements From Arizona Latino Leaders
Mon., Feb. 15, 7:00pm
Thu., Feb. 18, 7:00pm
Thu., Feb. 18, 7:00pm
Fri., Feb. 19, 7:30pm
- Phoenix City Councilman Getting Butt Plug Following Satanist Scrap
- Scottsdale Firefighter Disciplined Over Off-Duty Melee