Is Trent Franks Just Wasting Congress' Time?
When Republican candidates for the House of Representatives campaigned in 2010, just about every single one of them talked about these things called "jobs."
As Congressman Trent Franks passed the 90-minute mark of time he's forced the House to deal with his failing abortion bills since January, it got us looking at his legislation to see how many of those "jobs" bills he's working on.
If you search for the bills sponsored by Franks, you'll notice he's not really riding the "jobs" train; in fact, he submitted one bill that would purposely prevent jobs from being created.
That's the "Gila Bend Indian Reservation Lands Replacement Clarification Act," which -- according to the House Republican Conference -- "would prohibit gaming activities on certain land owned by the Tohono O'odham Nation in Arizona."
Two of the other 19 Franks-sponsored bills are abortion-related, and already failed.
Here are the titles of some of Franks' other priorities:
- "Celebrating the life of President Ronald Wilson Reagan on the 100th anniversary of his birth."
- "Expressing condolences for the murder of Punjab Governor Salman Taseer and Pakistan Minister of Minority Affairs Shahbaz Bhatti, and calling for a Taseer-Bhatti Resolution in the United Nations Human Rights Council honoring their courage in defense of core principles of Pakistan's democracy, enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, particularly the freedom of religion."
- "Calling for the protection of the rights and freedoms of religious minorities in the Arab world."
- "Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States relating to parental rights." (He submitted two versions of this.)
That said, do you think Franks is wasting Congress' time?
Cast your vote below:
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Phoenix New Times' biggest stories.
- Phoenix New Times Seeks News Freelancers
- The Grand Canyon Has an Alarming Amount of Mercury and Selenium
- Top 10 Wacky Right-Wing Beliefs in Phoenix