Governor Jan Brewer has vetoed Senate Bill 1062.
The bill advertised as "religious freedom" legislation resulted in several protests, was denounced by many large businesses, and even some of the Republican lawmakers who voted for the bill have since come out against it.
-SB 1062 Protesters Demand Apology From Lobbyist Cathi Herrod
-SB 1062 Uproar: Can Arizona Democrats Capitalize on It in November?
While the bill didn't explicitly give power to businesses to discriminate against lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people, that's certainly how it was received. The bill allowed businesses to make "exercise of religion" claims as a defense in court. Gay people aren't a protected under state and federal laws like religion, race, and disabilities are, for example, hence the reasoning that this bill targeted the gay community.
Brewer made the announcement this evening, saying she decided to veto the bill because it's not one of her legislative priorities, it's broadly worded, and there's no real threat to religion that warranted such a bill. Brewer said she didn't get a single example of how this bill was needed in order to protect religious freedom.
— Jan Brewer (@GovBrewer) February 27, 2014
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
complete coverage of SB 1062 below:
- SB 1062 Protesters Demand Apology From Lobbyist Cathi Herrod
- SB 1062 Uproar: Can Arizona Democrats Capitalize on It in November?
- State Senator Steve Pierce Worries About SB 1062's Effects on "Mega-Events"
- KTAR Finds a Business That Actually Supports SB 1062
- Al Melvin Knows of No Arizonan Who Discriminates
- See the Other Laws Being Pushed by the Force Behind Arizona's SB 1062
- Arizona Chamber of Commerce, Sane Republicans, Run Screaming from SB 1062
- How Arizona Looks to the Rest of the Nation, Thanks to SB 1062
- SB 1062 Protesters Denounce So-Called "Religious Freedom Bill"
- Leaders, Gay-Rights Activists Call On Governor To Veto "Religious Freedom" Bill
- Pearce, Babeu, the Discrimination Bill, and the Love that Dare Not Speak Its Name
- "Religious Freedom" Bill in the Hands of Governor Brewer
- Arizona's Anti-LGBT "Religious Freedom" Bill Trolled by Democrats
Got a tip? Send it to: Matthew Hendley.