Jason Richardson Profile: Newest Sun Expected to Make Debut Against Magic Tonight
Phoenix Suns fans: Here's a quick-and-dirty introduction to the team's newest member, Jason Richardson, who was acquired in Wednesday's five-player trade that sent Raja Bell and Boris Diaw to the Charlotte Bobcats.
* While at Michigan State, the McDonald's All-American -- along with legendary college ballers Mateen Cleaves, Morris Peterson, and Charlie Bell -- led the Spartans to the 2000 NCAA Championship.
* Other than Michael Jordan, the dynamic 6-foot-6 shooting guard is the only high-flying cat to win consecutive Slam Dunk Contests, which Richardson did in 2002 and 2003.
* During the 2006-07 NBA Playoffs, Richardson's 19 points per game helped the Golden State Warriors - who hadn't been in the postseason in 13 years - to an astounding first-round series victory against the Dallas Mavericks, a 67-win team that was the NBA's best in the regular season.
* Last season, Richardson showed his durability by starting in all 82 games for the Charlotte Bobcats, pouring in 21.8 points per game and connecting on a career-best 40.6 percent from behind the 3-point arc.
It all sounds good on paper, doesn't it? It's even better live, so check out Jason Richardson's expected Phoenix debut when the Suns host the Orlando Magic at US Airways Center tonight.Tip-off's at 7 p.m. Local TV: Fox Sports Arizona. Radio: KTAR-AM 620. -- Steve Jansen
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Phoenix New Times' biggest stories.
- Mesa Police Kill Woman During Asperger Meltdown
- Troublemaking Teens Busted in Tempe Car Shootings
- Joe Arpaio's Headless Horse to Be Buried; Horse Group Picks Fight with State...